Post YOUR Hatchback here
By 95DXHatch
#358381 Hey guys, me and my girlfriend each have an EG hatch and we wanted to make a build thread for them. Of course, it'll be slow, as we're both still broke college students. We thought it'd be cool to make one build thread for both of them though where we could log our progress for each of them. So, on to the cars...

My girlfriend has a super clean '92 Milano Red CX EG hatch, 143k miles, and all stock. It's got some minor cosmetic flaws, but it's all in all a VERY clean hatch. Here are some pics:

Don't have any interior or engine bay pics at the moment but I will get some soon. It's all stock black interior with the stock D15B. Here 's one more pic with my truck:

So far we haven't done much to it, maintenance has been first priority before any money is spent on mods. So far we have had to buy it a new battery, and replace the alternator belt and A/C belt as the old alternator belt self destructed and the A/C belt was worn. Also changed the oil, and my girlfriend has recently learned to drive stick! So proud of her. Hers is much closer than mine in terms of being able to justify spending money on mods though. So, that may come soon.

Now, for my hatch. My hatch is a piece of shit, but I mean that in the most loving way possible. It's a '95 DX. I bought it for $800 about a year and a half ago as a parts car for my old hatch to manual swap it. That never happened and I got rid of that hatch, but I still have this one, and I finally was able to handle the ridiculous situation with the title and get it in my name (both hatches are clean title btw, although mine may not look like it). My hatch sat for over a year on the ground with no jack stands (they sunk into the dirt) and no wheels or suspension. I finally got some wheels and suspension on it though and I'm working on getting it back to life. I actually was able to get it to finally run right the other day. So far I've only done simple, cheap things, as I don't work many hours currently. Here are some pics of the ol' trusty hatch:

My girlfriend also bought me a new bumper for it for Valentine's day as my old one was cracked (cause that's the only thing wrong with this thing, right?).

Here they are together! Before the new bumper though.

Now, for the important things, the plans for them. The main goal for my hatch right now is to just get it looking like a car again. I need headlights, recently got a BWR radiator for free but haven't put it in yet. It's actually the one that came out of my hatch when I bought it and I sold it to my friend but he never used it so he let me have it back for free. It'll also need a new battery. Realized the other day that the radiator core support is also going to have to be replaced, so I'm hoping to do that and get it painted eventually. I'm planning on going with Phoenix Yellow. My girlfriend would also like to paint hers a dark purple, not sure what color yet though. We may just plastidip it though, as we don't want to completely get rid of the nice stock Milano Red. She mostly would just like to get some rims and suspension for it right now. I'll be going with the good ol' Koni and GC setup for both of them.

For my hatch, I gutted the interior as it was disgusting, and I've always wanted to build a track car and get out there and get some seat time. So, it will be a sort of mild track car that I can also daily. It'll still have A/C, and a radio, but not much more than that.

Anyways, this post is long enough, so I think that about covers everything, thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of this forums! Always loved it! :D
By Driv-it-hard
#358389 I love the cars. There is a great saying the car world.
If you build together , you stay together. Enjoy each other and cherish the great moments .
Love to see more of the cars !
Thank you for sharing.
By 95DXHatch
Driv-it-hard wrote:I love the cars. There is a great saying the car world.
If you build together , you stay together. Enjoy each other and cherish the great moments .
Love to see more of the cars !
Thank you for sharing.

That's exactly how we see it! It's great having someone to share your passion with. There's no better feeling. Thank you for the kind words! Hope to share much more in the future.

teal_dx wrote:Twin Hatchies are fun, but I'm digging your F350 8) :woot:

Thanks teal! Lol, I do love our hatches, but my F-350 is my baby. I had a 2005 Pontiac GTO that I traded for it, and although I miss it dearly, I would never go back. Love my truck to death. It'll be the one towing the hatch once I get it worthy of the track. :woot:
By 95DXHatch
#358403 Been meaning to get this post up, but here's a few very small updates on the girlfriend's hatch. They're not necessarily new, but they're new to the thread.

First off, we found a black armrest in our local junkyard, not perfect shape, but still decent.

Also, I bought her a new head unit for Christmas, but still haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Also gave her a subwoofer and amp I've had laying around, but those aren't installed yet either. They're nothing special, but they're something at least.

By 95DXHatch
Driv-it-hard wrote:Nice music, make sure you install for her. HAHA.
lol

Oh I plan on it, just gotta get her a wiring kit for the subwoofer and I've never installed a head unit, and I'm terrible with wiring,.
By Driv-it-hard
95DXHatch wrote:
Driv-it-hard wrote:Nice music, make sure you install for her. HAHA.
lol

Oh I plan on it, just gotta get her a wiring kit for the subwoofer and I've never installed a head unit, and I'm terrible with wiring,.

Don't scare your self. Play with the harness out of the car and trim what you don' t need. It is easier to work on something in a comfortable place than in the car . Take you time.
By 95DXHatch
Driv-it-hard wrote:Don't scare your self. Play with the harness out of the car and trim what you don' t need. It is easier to work on something in a comfortable place than in the car . Take you time.

Finally did today! Been dreading it, but I finally got it done today.

Here's a few pics during the process. It was a long day, and boy was it hot. I've never done this much work with wiring, so I'm really glad I did it honestly because I've always hated wiring and I wanted to get some practice/experience with it. This helped me a ton.

The microphone for the Bluetooth.

Myself, working. Lol.

The stereo finally in. Sounds TONS better than the old cheap head unit that was in it. She could use some new speakers but they sound great for now. Unfortunately, the subwoofer wasn't working when I hooked it up, but the amp had power, as the light was on. So I'm guessing the subwoofer may not work. It's a cheap one I got in a trade. Oh well, at least the wiring is there for one now.

The armrest in. LOVE the look! Just gotta get the bracket for the back screws to screw in.

And... end of the night. Started around noon or so, finished at 7 PM. The most difficult part was stripping wires and crimping them while they were inside the dash. They weren't long enough to reach out of the dash, so I had to strip and crimp them through the stereo hole in the dash.
By teal_dx
The most difficult part was stripping wires and crimping them while they were inside the dash. They weren't long enough to reach out of the dash, so I had to strip and crimp them through the stereo hole in the dash.

I always get one of the adapter harnesses. It takes a fraction of the time to install, and you don't have to cut up the factory wiring. Well worth the $10 bucks. :thumb: All you do is solder the adapter to your radio's harness, then it plugs right into your factory radio harness. Also gives you an extra 6-8" of wire to work with.
By 95DXHatch
teal_dx wrote:
The most difficult part was stripping wires and crimping them while they were inside the dash. They weren't long enough to reach out of the dash, so I had to strip and crimp them through the stereo hole in the dash.

I always get one of the adapter harnesses. It takes a fraction of the time to install, and you don't have to cut up the factory wiring. Well worth the $10 bucks. :thumb: All you do is solder the adapter to your radio's harness, then it plugs right into your factory radio harness. Also gives you an extra 6-8" of wire to work with.

Well, her head unit actually came with one of those (thank you Crutchfield!), but the problem was that whoever did her old head unit, they cut the factory harness, and just added the wires to the harness for that head unit. So what I did was, I got a factory harness from the junk yard, and crimped it onto the factory wires in the car. Then I just plugged the adapter harness in, with the new head unit harness connected. So, at least now if the head unit ever has to be changed, the factory harness will be there.
By 95DXHatch
#358484 Another small update also, I got the sub working! A solder just came disconnected inside the sub box. So I had my dad solder it back on, and it's working great now. Sounds awesome! Also, something I forgot to add to the last update. I fixed the infamous shift boot sag, looks much better.
By 95DXHatch
#358641 Alright guys, a little bit of an update. Been having a couple issues with the girlfriend's hatch. She was driving it one day and says it lost power and would barely go anywhere in first. She also said she started smelling burning of some sort, she thinks rubber. So I checked the timing belt and broke a valve cover bolt in the process, so that was a bit of an obstacle, but got it sorted out. I then noticed that her oil was low after just doing a fresh oil change just a few weeks ago. So I added the oil she had left over from the oil change, and it's been alright so far, keeping a close eye on it.

Now, for my hatch. Work hours have been picking up a bit more so I've got a bit more money for the hatch, but also spent a good amount of money on my F-350. New wheels and tires for that soon. Yesterday I went and bought it a new battery and radiator hoses. It's now actually RUNNING! It's got a bit of an idle issue, and the smell of year and a half old gas. Now, for my current problem, it's throwing a CEL, which is expected for how long it's been sitting. So I'm trying to check the code, and someone cut off the service plug or something, but the copper wire is still there so it still works, sort of.

Here's the plug and my wire to loop it back to itself and throw the codes.

Now, when I turn the key to the ON position, it will blink, but the blinks are like 3-4 seconds apart and it never stops. There doesn't seem to be any short flashes or anything, just a constant blink, and it just keep going. I took a short video of what it's doing. Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2e02VR4lfM

Sorry for the poor quality, just an iPhone video, and yes I know, lots of miles :D
By teal_dx
#358647 I'd say you have a code 1, its just replaying it over and over. Pretty common and an easy fix - O2 sensor. It should run much better with the new one :thumb:
By 95DXHatch
teal_dx wrote:I'd say you have a code 1, its just replaying it over and over. Pretty common and an easy fix - O2 sensor. It should run much better with the new one :thumb:

I hadn't thought of that! That makes perfect sense actually! Thank you teal! :D