N/A build discussion
By ChicagoMike
#4171 I'm starting this thread now, even though the job isnt finished. Come to think of it, the job hasent even started. My ITR bottom end is coming out, and my 85mm built GSR block is going in. I'm heading out in a few mins, going down to the shop to get this project moving. The plan of attack is to do the actuall swap tonight, full tune on the dyno tomorrow night. I just put fresh batteries in the camera, so pics and a brief rundown will be coming soon!!
By vtec_gloucester
#4172 ooooo, looking forward to the pics. gd with it mate.
By ChicagoMike
#4222 Okay pics as promised!!

Just getting started....

The goods....

Turning wrenches...

Almost out....

1st part done....

Cooling down the motor...dont want a warped head! It worked out pretty tight, we aimed the fan at the exhaust ports and propped open the butterfly on the throttle body, the heat just poured out.

Parts and pieces...

Head off the old block...

Head in the parts washer...

Swapping over the lil things...

Installed the clutch on the new block....

Mounted up the trans on the new block...

Put in a oil cooler....

Head and timing belt installed...

Back in the engine bay...

Almost there....

In and running...

Fuckin done!!!!! :woot:

Total job was 5 hours.....not too shaby!!
Last edited by ChicagoMike on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By vtec_gloucester
#4223 wow - great work mate and all in 5 hours. :thumb:
By ChicagoMike
#4224 Thanks!! We busted ass!! Now I'm pretty beat so its time to pass out. Everyone have a good night, or day depending where you are. Be back in a few hours. :)
By ChicagoMike
#4234 Hey thanks teal dx!! The motor only took about a half hour to cool. While we were waiting for that we cut the valvecover for access to the cam gears, and installed new pads and rotors in the front. My guy with the rear disk backed out on me, he got an offer on his car as a whole, and took it.

We definately used the ARP headstuds!! My ITR ones had been reused about 4 times.....ahahaha, you're not even supposed to reuse them once. :lol:
By ChicagoMike
#4244 Later today/tonight, the cars going on the dyno for a full tune on AEM EMS. God I'm hoping for some decent numbers.
By chnzgoofball
#4256 damn... keep us updated... im pretty eager to hear about the numbers too hahaha
By ChicagoMike
#4265 The tq number is what I'm mostly interested in. Before I was only hitting 131tq......its just gotta be better now.
By EGcivic
#4273 You don't hang about do you!! Good Job. :thumb:
Can't wait to see the figures.
By ChicagoMike
EGcivic wrote:You don't hang about do you!! Good Job. :thumb:
Can't wait to see the figures.

Hahahaha, actually I'm a very big procrastinator. But when it comes to getting something big done to the car, its go time. :D
By ohDirka
#4279 that is bitchin..wish i had a lift that would make my life soo much easier
By ChicagoMike
d15kid wrote:that is bitchin..wish i had a lift that would make my life soo much easier

Having the correct tools and equipment is half the job right there. Generally if you're prepared, things go sooo much smoother/quicker. I've learned that lesson the hard way, way too many times.