ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By VegasCivic
#53827 Its your fault if you cant put it back together.
This install will probably give you headaches

Replacing the whole ignition+lock unit

Disconnect your negative battery terminal/cable/ You will removing the airbag and need to be safe about it!

Remove the panel on the steering wheel. Under is a Torx bolt. Remove the bolt. There is also a torx bolt on the other side

Remove the yellow SRS connectors and horn connector. Center your wheel before removing, and mark on the bolt before removing. This will insure alignment. The nut is size 19mm.

With the wheel and plate removed, slide this piece out. Note which direction it is. This is the device that self cancels your turn signals after. I put it in wrong and my signals would cancel with a slight jog of the wheel!

Remove these three screws and the whole turn signal wiper assembly will slide off. No need to disconnect anything here

Normally at this point you would have to remove shear bolts( plastic topped bolt when torqued to a certain level the tips breaks and leaves a nub...they are a pain to remove!) Because mine was destroyed my ignition looked like this

Now that the ignition is ready, disconnect the wiring connectors. In this picture it is show slighty left and is brown. This is by far the most painful part. Find someone with small arms and hands. The other connector is in your fuse box and very simple to reach. It too is brown.

When they stole it the column was bent.

use what ya got to fix it. Without this hole the ignition, and lock wont seat correctly.

New vs old.

To install reverse steps =]
BUT : The shear bolts dont like to go back in very well, and I didnt have hardware to replace them. I just took a hack saw and made myself a set of flatheaded bolts.

As you may have noticed. This is an extremly easy way to protect your car. In the same sense it is a strong weakness of our vehicles. The locking mechanism can be easily defeated and the car can be rolled away to be worked on. After the install I filled the whole column selaing the internals with cable,foam, and razor blades...jk on the last one lol.

I wish I could have presented more pictures.
Last edited by VegasCivic on Mon May 05, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CivicTypeR
#53841 Last time I touched my ignition I got shocked :shock: I don't go near it anymore lol, but I know what it was.

Great write up with detailed pics man. :thumb:
By VegasCivic
#53870 All the pictures have been added. Much better :D
SlipCivic wrote:Last time I touched my ignition I got shocked :shock:

Thats why I always disconnect the battery. :woot: Especially here, an airbag to the face from 2 inches just doesnt sound like fun lol.
By id3379
#58188 Kudo's on bending that back. 8)