General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By yashep
#36779 As some of you know my tranny has 200,XXX miles and was showing signs of wear. my tird gear was grinding and sometimes the reverse didn't engage. after looking i found that the shift rod oil seal was the culprit. so i decide to do a real simple DIY on how to change it.
To start make sure your car is on a level surface.
things you need:
1. jack and jack stands
2. oil seal P/N 91215-PL3-005
3. 2qts. Honda MTF (your choice)
4. 8mm punch or a screw
5. 12mm socket and wrench
6. hammer and pliers
7. PB Blaster
8. 2 packs of sour skittles --> optional
9. beer--> optional

Raise your car and place something on the rear wheels so it won't slip and crush yo ass and put the jack stands so its all secure. Now that the car is up, drink a beer and admire what you've done so far.

As you can see it was a mess, tranny oil everywhere.

Now, time to remove the bitch, everyone may have different ways to remove it i have a piece of an old screwdriver that fits perfectly on the bitch hole. put it in there!!

spray some pb blaster or dw-40 to loosen the bitch so it'll slide easier when you hit it with punch and hammer. with the hammer hit the damn bitch until is out.
Once you get the bitch out, remove the shift linkage (sorry didn't took the pics totally forgot). There's a 12mm bolt directly under the shift lever, remove it and the whole bar will come out.

Now that the bar is out of the way you can see the oil seal, looking at the pic you can see the old one and the new one. At plain view they look alike, but at closer look the old one is pretty worn and doesn't seal like it should.

using some big ass pliers hold the seal and start wiggling until it comes out. if you look closesly, the rubber is white and brittle, as soon as I removed it it started to drip tranny fluid.

to put the new seal on, use a long socket and hit it with the hammer until is all the way in.

This is how it should look once you put it on. Now all you have to do is reverse the steps to put everything back together.

No more leak, once you finish you will have this. Clean everything up. Set the car down, fill up the tranny and if you have beer left drink it up, you deserve it.

Hope this is useful and may help someone, i have fun doing it, plus I needed it. Any questions that you might have, something that i might left out, feel free to add it up or ask.
By yashep
teal_dx wrote:excellent write up!!

Thanx I like DIYs and want to see the civic-eg DIYs ones grow, just glad i could help.
By Split_second
#37025 thanx my tranny was doing the same thing ima go do it 2
By yashep
Split_second wrote:thanx my tranny was doing the same thing ima go do it 2

No prob man, hope everything goes ok. I think i have pics of the axle seals if I find them I'll add them to this DIY they were also leaking.
Good luck!!
By miguel329
#37468 how did you get the pin in? thanks
By yashep
miguel329 wrote:how did you get the pin in? thanks

you just put a little bit of grease in the pin and hammer it back on. if you look closely at the pin, you'll notice that one of the sides is more "pointy" than the other, this is the side that goes first. And always make sure that you hammer the pin and not the rod it can bend if the blows hit it directly. you can use a big "C" clamp to but is a little more complicated in terms of fitment. Feel free to ask any other q you might have. Good Luck :thumb:
By york62
#37484 this is cats ass man, great write up, i have been needing to do this, now it should be easy thanks to you!
By miguel329
#38284 thanks going to see if i can get that pin at honda.. i lost it=(
By yashep
miguel329 wrote:thanks going to see if i can get that pin at honda.. i lost it=(

(assuming you have a d16z6 tranny)
P/N 94305-80222 -PIN, SPRING (8X20) - I bought one for $2 some time ago. buena suerte :thumb:
By chrono404
#38368 Awesome Wright up! :thumb:

What happened to your rubber boot that goes over the seal lip and the joint?
By yashep
chrono404 wrote:Awesome Wright up! :thumb:

Thanx man, not as good as yours but at least is something feels good coming from the tranny guru :lol:
I accidentally tear up that thing, and had to drive the hatch (work) but is on now. what i'm not using is the bitch pin retainer, should i put it or it doesn't matter?
By chrono404
yashep wrote:
chrono404 wrote:Awesome Wright up! :thumb:

Thanx man, not as good as yours but at least is something feels good coming from the tranny guru :lol:
I accidentally tear up that thing, and had to drive the hatch (work) but is on now. what i'm not using is the bitch pin retainer, should i put it or it doesn't matter?

One thing to remember is that Honda didn't put that rubber boot and clip on there for no reason. It must have cost them Millions(of yen) to put that on all the cars from 92-95.

The Rubber boot you put on later(good move) keeps all the dirt and muck away from the joint.

On the "Batch pin retainer" if you mean the little clip that slides over the pin. I have that on mine. And If i was you i would put it on. It might not be necessary, However i do alot of Mountain Runs and this is my Daily Driver.
I would have mine on so there is no chance of that pin backing out. Its unlikely. Remember, Honda put this in for a reason. You want this in there Tight.
By yashep
#38478 ok man thanx :thumb:
By kAce
#170167 my car has the same problems, sometimes 1st n reverse doesn't pop into gear. when the tranny isn't warmed up, reving past 4.5k rpm and shifting to second fast grinds. think this will fix my problem? or is it the syncros

before changing out the seal for the tranny should i drain the tranny fluid first?