Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By 1993 Civic Si
#19702 Many times, a new set of tires will not only improve the ride but also eliminate some road noise.
By ChicagoMike
#19703 Dynamat, they use the stuff with sound systems and it might work for what your looking to do.
By Jamesiecivichb
#19704 yea ill look into that dynamat stuff...ive heard of it before....i just want a quieter ride i guess....
By york62
#19753 haha i took all my tar out!!
By CoupeCruiser
#19849 The new Dynamat extreme works VERY well. Some of the other cheaper imitations do a great job at first, but the adhesive gives out and it falls off of vertical surfaces (or under the deck-lid) after a few months.
You get what you pay for.

but one piece of advice. MAKE SURE you get the surface CLEAN and dry before applying. use de-greaser.

I have dynamat-ted with some great success.
But if you do the whole car, you just added 100+ pounds.
Depends on what you want.

I can post some links on how to install if you want.
By Jamesiecivichb
#19850 yea pm me links please....well i was mainly going to focus on my trunk and my doors,...is the dynamat really heavy? it looks like a peace of foil almost
By CoupeCruiser
#19851 Yea, it is really dense stuff. It adds a lot of weight to your car.

doing your doors and trunk/decklid will GREATLY enhance the sound of your stereo, because it solidifies the surface that the speakers are mounted on, and the surface that soundwaves bounce off of.

But to cut down on road noise, the best application of it is your floor pans and wheel wells. If you pull the carpet and do the whole bottom of the car, including up over the wheel wells, it will make your EG sound like a Lexus. (well... slight exageration).

I have heard (never tried it) that pulling out your headliner and applying dynamat on the roof of your car makes a big difference on wind-noise.

But if you do all that, your car will feel like the nose-tackle from the Jets is permanently residing in your back seat.
:shock:
Good tires (as previously stated) can really help with road noise.

I will post those links when I get home, I don't have them saved on this computer--so check back later. :)
By teal_dx
#19914 dynomax is good stuff. The CX models have a little less sound deadening tar from the factory compared to the other hatchbacks (makes them a little lighter)
By Jamesiecivichb
#19956 yea...tahts coupe cruiser for the info..and ill be looking for those links soon, lol, but yea i knew they were lighter due to less tar, but i like quiet cars, and mine it is not
By Jamesiecivichb
#19960 what if i bought a cargo cover? ive heard taht it cuts the noise down a little bit...?
By chnzgoofball
#19966 dynomat and tires are the best to kill road noise... my suggestion
By Graham
#19981 ear plugs :thumb:

Mines a bit noisey cos of my tyres but just turning the music up drowns it out quite well :woot:

....until i stripped mine out that is
By chnzgoofball
Graham wrote:ear plugs :thumb:

Mines a bit noisey cos of my tyres but just turning the music up drowns it out quite well :woot:

....until i stripped mine out that is

that works for exhaust too :D
By CoupeCruiser
#20041 James, I decided to just post this--instead of PMing you.
Others seem interested.

Here are a few links to get you started.
If you decide to really go all out and start pulling all the interior panels, do yourself a favor and go to Ebay and get a shop manual on CDrom. (5$)
Knowing where all the clips and screws are is 80% of the battle.

I have had my EJ1 interior completely gutted numerous times. Having that manual would have saved a lot of time and frustration the first time I did it.
A small pick-set and a couple of panel-removal hand tools will also save you lots of time (versus prying on everything with a flathead screwdriver), prevent unsightly gouges in the plastic (from the aforementioned screwdriver), and you are less likely to break panel clips and the small plastic tabs. The end-result being that it will go back together nice and tight with no new rattles and scratches.

Here is an example of trim/panel removal hand tools:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12812&group_ID=1793&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12817&group_ID=1793&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

and a basic small pick-set:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=9227&group_ID=1067&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Don't be scared away by the prices. Snap-On tools are notoriously expensive. You can get these same tools at Sears for a third the price.

Now for the links to the sound-deadening help pages:

this link is a huge help.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

and this is a good thread on MP3car.com
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-audio/79714-sound-deadening-liquid-vs-mats.html

...and my favorite quote regarding sound-deadening:
"You will also be adding some weight to the car. In my case, just over one hundred pounds. I choose to look at this as the weight reserved for one super-model. Since it would always have gone unused anyway, it was available for this purpose. "