General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
#17905 Image

Here we have an old rusty manifold. It gets the job done but doesn't look all that great. :thumbdown:

I am going to sand blast it :thumb:

cover any mating surfaces with duct tape. Those surfaces should stay nice and smooth, not have a sand blasted texture on them.

After sand blasting, I went over the manifold with a wire wheel to get any spots I missed. The sand blasting is great for tight areas and crevaces. The wire wheel is great for the top surface & flat areas.

It looks like new now, but cast iron will rust again soon. So I wiped it down with wax & grease remover.

And painted it with Duplicolor 1200 F High Heat Engine Enamel.
http://duplicolor.com/products/engine.html
regular paint will flake off. The paint I used has ceramics. The first time the header is used over 500 F, the paint will cure. So be careful not to scratch it while installing the manifold.
Be sure you buy the 1200?F High Heat for exhaust parts, the regular 500?F will not last.
By LaMbErT*
#18011 cool man :thumb: 8) Where did you sandblast it ?
By sihatch9508
#18071 yeah i just got mine done professionally for $53 but still a cool write up for the diy people
By chnzgoofball
#18083 nice!! looks professionally done!! :thumb:
By teal_dx
LaMbErT* wrote:cool man :thumb: 8) Where did you sandblast it ?

have a small sandblasting cabinet

yeah i just got mine done professionally for $53 but still a cool write up for the diy people

we'll see if mine lasts as long as yours! :hehe:
By JMan8108
#18108 Looks really good
By Ej2-B16a
#27977 i cant stand it anymore i did this like three times.. i end up getting so high lol

all the fumes mess me up so good..

it looked so badass tho.. i have vents in my CB hood. i roll out at a stop its smoking out of my vents.. i see some ladies on the side, give it a rev, they see it smoke up and they think i have a beast in there , so that makes my day lol
By JMan8108
B16nintyfiveCoupe wrote:i cant stand it anymore i did this like three times.. i end up getting so high lol

all the fumes mess me up so good..

it looked so badass tho.. i have vents in my CB hood. i roll out at a stop its smoking out of my vents.. i see some ladies on the side, give it a rev, they see it smoke up and they think i have a beast in there , so that makes my day lol

Please quit talking