Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By teal_dx
#17903 When mix matching different parts, especially with a home made turbo kit, everythng diesn't always line up perfectly.

Here is a used HF manifold that I bought for cheap. I read that the manifold should be port matched to make bigger HP #s.

When I looked at the ports, I saw that someone had already done a little work on them. You can see the top of the ports have been slightly enlarged. So I am going to improve it.

After getting the dirt etc. off the surface, I put the exhaust gasket over the surface. Then put slightly larger bolts in the holes to eliminate any play or movement. The bolts need to be as tight fitting as possible. Then traced around the eage of the gasket openings with a fine sharpie.

Here you can see the line I made with the sharpie. That's as far as I will be removing material.

Use a die grinder and wear eye protection. The material will be removed as small flying iron splinters.

After the new port matching 8)
By ohDirka
#17904 i guess you learn something new everyday
By york62
#17964 haha sweet write-up.. i did the same thing to my hx manifold!
By chnzgoofball
D15kid wrote:i guess you learn something new everyday

x2
By stefan
#18620 In adition, you could portmatch the head for better throttle respons and higher peak-hp.

This picture shows a D16Z6 head, with an untouched exhaust port.
De black lining around the port is from a marker; just put the gasket on the threads, mark the head where the gasket is bigger, and start removing the excess material.

After a while, you get this result.
Still had some work to it, smoothening the surface (and since it is the exhaust port; it needed polishing) and things like that.
The separation between both valves needs to be as thin and sharp as you can get it.

I stopped the project, sold the head and never heard anything about it again.
When I sold it, it still needed smoothening and polishing.

Also, portmatching the runners from the OEM intake manifold to the head is a good thing to do.
Or just go out and buy a S2/Edelbrock/Blox intake manifold.
By ChicagoMike
#18621 This is an excellent thread!! :thumb: