Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By york62
#12984 ok so i decided to give my car a little different look...little cleaner IMO. i figured while i'm doing it i might as well make a DIY with it. so enjoy

I learn't some things in doing this. DO NOT SAND THE PLASTIC.

ok here is the molding, paint 2 sided tape, sand paper, all purpose cleaner, and coffee.

here is one sanded..DO NOT SAND it leaves little streaks and pieces of plastic, looks shitty painted. i had to learn this the hard way...my 2 longer pieces are turning out ok, but the smaller pieces will need a lot of paint to cover the marks, from sanding, up.

the cat made me do it...DO NOT SAND

Then i put them in for a bath. they were dirty.

i just set them out side to dry.

just used a few milk crates, and covered them in news paper.

the painting process, this will take quite a few coats because of the sanding...which your not going to do !!

i'll finish more tonight..i will keep you updated.
Last edited by york62 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ohDirka
#12988 DIY master
By LaMbErT*
#12992 good attempt man :) DIY FTW :D

listen to teal :)
By york62
#13002 yes that is what i will do .. for sure. i'm on my way to wal-mart now.
By ChicagoMike
#13012 Excellent write up! Keep them pics coming. :thumb:
By york62
#13017 hah thanks man...well i just sprayed them with filler primer i'll do a few coats with that then sand lightly and paint white.
By LaMbErT*
#13019 wet and dry over 1200 :thumb:
By york62
#13026 if i had 1200 i woudl ...but i dont. i have limited sand paper where i am at now.
By teal_dx
#13028 sanding lightly with a low grit will still give you scratches, reguardless of pressure you use. I would not use anything under 600 if you're worried about any scratches. Ideally, start with something low (depending on the amount of sanding you need to do)
If you're just scuffing the surface to get the primer to stick, then 600 will be fine. And work your way up (800, 1000, 1200...) Then after paint sand some more with higher grit for a glass smooth finish. :woot:

How do you like the Fusion paint? I've never used it before.
By york62
#13029 i really like it it sparys even, no need for primer just make sure the surface is clean. i'll use it again.
By LaMbErT*
#13037 Not only is it good to see someone else doing DIY but theres alot of info in this topic to help other people :)
By york62
#13056 i know thats what i was aiming at after i made the mistake of sanding.. hopefully the next person wont have to.
By york62
#13059 ok here are some updates

got the filler primer on, sanded just a little bit with scotch bright. then spraied 4 coats of the white.