What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By sandycheeks
#89479 well the wheels dont look like they would have much strength because of the amount of spokes and how thin they are so would not withstand much punishment, all depends on how big they are aswell 17"?? looks like that to me, more spokes would make the wheel stronger, more points to take the pressure. rotas are cheap for a reason and not everyone has the budget for expensive jdm rims.
By teal_dx
#89481 those subzeros are light weight wheels, copies of the Racing Hart CP035 which are even lighter.

I'd rock a set of subzeros for the price & weight savings. My D series isnt going to cause any harm :lol:
By zeppelin101
sandycheeks wrote:well the wheels dont look like they would have much strength because of the amount of spokes and how thin they are so would not withstand much punishment, all depends on how big they are aswell 17"?? looks like that to me, more spokes would make the wheel stronger, more points to take the pressure. rotas are cheap for a reason and not everyone has the budget for expensive jdm rims.

? What?

That really isn't the case.

While you designate more stress through each spoke you account for it by making the spoke deeper, or forming the material differently. As they're already lightweight they'll have used a different method of manufacture to improve the strength of the spoke over a process used for thick 5 spokes for instance.

It's not strength that was the issue, they're obviously more than strong enough or the spokes would have snapped when they contacted the caliper. The problem is that the material has somehow retained heat and started to deform, which has nothing to do with the strength of the material. My guess is that the wheel has an inferior alloy mix in it so the point where it begins to deform plastically has been lowered, and the spokes have begun to deform and sink into the wheel and, then been hammered by the caliper to create the spun effect in the second shot.
By sandycheeks
#89520 do know what you mean, heat would affect it but without a proper explination on it just pictures you cant get the full story. i wouldnt of thought normal heat from a average car would affect it, but if it is a 500bhp civic then its got to have big brakes which will heat the wheel so i know what you mean. at my work we have castings and forged, can depend on how much carbon is in the material aswell as this can cause problems with strength and how it is affected by heat, but in the long run you get what you pay for.....
By zeppelin101
#89522 With bigger brakes you get better heat disipation anyway.

Not to mention the whole lot is open to air, which will be flying past at quite a rate so there is no reason for the rim to retain heat at all, even if it only had a few mm clearance from the caliper
By sandycheeks
#89525 well brakes do stay hot for a while even when you are driving unless you have air dams to get a flow onto the brakes, like most racing cars, if the persons car has been used on track it obviously isnt designed like lets say a uk touring car which has around 200bhp and is designed to do the job round the track, and has millions spent on development. a 500bhp civic being front wheel drive is not going to be fantastic on a track will need the brakes to be used more before corners so will get bloody hot and there is no way around it, probbaly just the way they were driving. if they wanted wheels to not do that they should have done the proper research and got a proven wheel that was up to the task e.g team dynamics plus many others which are race proven wheels that probbaly wouldnt have the problem in the first place. dont see why people can say rotas are shit when they are not used in the correct conditions they are not race wheels and will never be, they are more styling orientated lightweight maybe but not race wheels. ive got a set and i couldnt be happier but i use them in the right way.

rant over......
By egsedanguy
teal_dx wrote:found this on another forum:

Here's a Rota wheel before a track day....

Here's the same after.

well if ya notice only seems like 1 of the 4 twisted. the first pic is of one wheel and the second is another wheel. i saw the weights on the inside.one has more. so therfor why in the world would only 1 do that. i wanna find out how much heat the metal can withstand befor it softens. im sure its a few hundos. so that means the caliper had to reach extrem heat. plus dont you think there would be more ppl saying the same thing? like i have rotas and they twisted. so 1 rim twisted out of 4 :eh: kinda weird? i think we are missing somthing like sliding off track or somthing! o wells i still like rotas. they should make a set called "rota twists"lol
By zeppelin101
#89571 As I said I'd blame a manufacturing anomaly on it.

The alloy used can withstand more than enough temperature that it won't begin to soften and deform regardless of how hot the brakes get unless something goes wrong in manufacture
By blockustomz
#89580 rota will make a wheel that looks like that now watch.. it looks alot better twisted..lol
By Josiah
#93379 from track day? prolly super heated brakes and corner after corner taking off will warp a cheap metal wheel. looks cool though. :thumb:
By Yexus_eghatch
#93479 My dad has an integra with Rota GT3 on them and he is making around 650 hp and nothing has happened to his ROTA's!

Would this only happen to these style of rims? or is it all of the ROTA's?
By Mayhem_Audio
#93503 prob front and rear tires hard

cause what are the odds of it raining and cloudy and the sun at the same angle the day of the before and after were taking
By Gorveatt
#93504 Someone that knows the link to the full story just post it already would ya
By wek-236
#94687 if i had 500hp on my car....

ill probably save on a 5 lug conversion upgrade first.

we should read the whole story first...

only if all of you knew.... some of the well known rims manufacturer are subcontracting ROTA's for their so called rims...

ps: just heard it from someone who works in the factory :D
By Sentry
wek-236 wrote:only if all of you knew.... some of the well known rims manufacturer are subcontracting ROTA's for their so called rims...

ps: just heard it from someone who works in the factory :D

LOL any names?