Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By nvturbo
#263673 Just thought I could help folks out with my DIY I posted on a local Honda forum.

**** Warning: I shall not be held responsible if you mess up your car by performing this technique or method. Do so at your own risk ****

First of all, this is NOT a copy/pasted write-up made by someone else.... found on another website. All the work performed and pictures taken were by me. The sole intentional purpose of this method is to deter and possibly prevent thieves from stealing your car. This is an extra method of theft deterrent. IMO, there is no one method that can guarantee 100% protection so performing this can lessen the chances of you waking up and finding your car missing from your driveway or apartment complex parking lot.

The following are simple instructions on how to do this DM (deterrent method). Please read carefully!!! This method will work exclusively for Civics and Integras, the two most stolen Hondas.

1. Purchase the items you need/use:
*** M4 - .7mm Carbon Metric Ground Thread Hand Tap (tapered)
*** 1/8� drill bits (get at least two just in case one breaks)
*** T-handle tap wrench (for sizes #0 – 1/4")
*** M4 - .7mm 12mm long tamper-proof screws (requires 2) --- DO NOT BUY ONES WITH PHILIPS, SLOTTED, OR HEXAGON (5/16�, 1/4�, etc.) heads.
*** key/chuck to turn the tamper-proof screws
*** cordless drill
*** Philips screwdriver
*** any color electrical tape
Image Image Image

2. Remove the (3) screws that hold the lower/upper steering column cover found on the underside of the steering column. If your car is equipped with tilt steering, it may be helpful if you tilt the steering wheel leaving the lever down for clearance. Also, you need to literally lower the steering column by loosening the two 14mm nut that holds the bracket. Doing this will give you room when drilling and tapping.
***** remove the underdash paneling and unbolt the metal brace (2 ~10mm bolts) to prevent pinching any wire leading to the steering wheel *****

3. Once the steering column covers are removed, locate the ignition switch on the left side of the steering wheel. If you look, there are two Philips screws that hold the switch in place. Remove the two screws and the switch will literally fall out of the socket.

4. Since the drilling area may not be that deep, make sure to measure the length of the screw threads and use some electrical tape to mark how deep the drill bit needs to go. Start drilling until you reach the designated depth.
*** IN SOME CARS, it is safe to drill through ***
+++++ REMEMBER to use some type of lubrication on the tip of the tap (WD-40, silicone spray, oil, etc...) --- heat causes friction...meaning it may break the tap +++++

5. After you have drilled the two holes, prep the (M4 - .7mm) tap securely into the t-handle wrench. Spray some lubricant onto the tip of the thread bit. Start threading the freshly drilled holes, turning the wrench CLOCKWISE. When the wrench starts to feel tight, STOP and back off COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. Clean out any burrs from the hole afterwards.
Image Image

6. Put the ignition switch back into the socket, and screw in the NEW tamper-proof screws to hold it in place.

7. Test to make sure everything is back to normal by turning on the car with the key. In the picture, the screw heads were removed for security purposes only.

8. Re-install the steering column covers, underdash paneling and brace....and YOU’RE GOOD TO GO. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
By suspendedHatch
#264143 Many Civics and Integras have no grooves in the screws holding the key cylinder already. I think they are ground off. It doesn't matter for several reasons. It's easy to cut grooves with a dremel and screw them out. They're not in there tight. It's also fairly easy to break the steering lock by manhandling the steering wheel. And if that fails, you can punch the ignition. Or even buy a Honda skeleton key online.

Honestly, it's not my goal to shoot down every security idea I come across. I'm just trying to put the best information forward. I made it my life's mission to research and test every conceivable theft deterrent I came across. I've moved on since then but not much ever changes with vehicle security.

Your heart's in the right place, but I would have to file this idea in the pile with fuel kill switches, removable steering wheels, removing the ecu, removing fuses or relays, unplugging stuff, relying on the immobilizer or factory alarm, club-like devices, dealer-installed chips, the alpha lock, Ravelco, cellphone hacks, etc.

Here's what works: stealth installed alarm with a backup battery, tracking device (these vary in effectiveness depending on the area you live in, and are expensive with few viable choices), independent kill switch (main relay, ecu via under hood fuse block, or starter relay), interior siren, glass break sensor, tilt sensor, "Denver" wheel boot.
By 1ACarlos
#264158 Thanks
By nvturbo
#264243 Thanks for your comments, suspendedhatch. FYI, Integras and Civics have two screws with a small socket head, Philips + in the center. I likely doubt that your typical car thief is going to bring a Dremel tool with them. I have personally done this method on both my cars, '00 Civic coupe and '93 Civic sedan along with two other EG cars. Like I mentioned in my thread, it is not a STANDALONE theft deterrent method. Just like stealth, properly installed alarm system....its purpose is to slow down a thief and possibly prevent them from taking your car. And if you don't want to do this to your car, you don't have to. It's just information I'm providing to those that can't afford a $500+ alarm setup.
By suspendedHatch
#264316 91 Civic Si, 93 Civic DX hatch auto, 92 Civic VX, and 97 Integra GSR coupe all had the two bolt heads rounded down. I don't remember ever checking on the 89 Civic wagon RT or 91 Integra LS I had.

In any case, a thief would use one of the methods I gave. Those screws are only there for people who replace their ignition or replace it with a push button start.
By nvturbo
suspendedHatch wrote:....... Those screws are only there for people who replace their ignition or replace it with a push button start.

AND for car thieves who carry a few handtools.
By LaosToaster
#265221 How about making a complete block off plate, they won't have any access to the two screws and not much time especially with two sirens going off.
By nvturbo
LaosToaster wrote:How about making a complete block off plate, they won't have any access to the two screws and not much time especially with two sirens going off.

I don't believe with a block plate installed, the stock steering column cover will go back into place.....looking like stock.
By nvturbo
#267159 thanks teal_dx. :woot:
By dylan0123
#314845 I always just lay down bear traps in front of the driver's door!!!!!! WHOOO RALLY!!!!