General exhaust discussion & questions
By xhardlinerx
#323200 Should I buy a yonaka exhaust system for $240 or should I just keep my ebay exhaust system and remove the tip and have the exhaust shop install some random quiet exhaust tip on there?

I want a quiet ride, but I want to keep my car powerful with a non restrictive exhaust.

Question 1. If I had the exhaust shop remove the ebay exhaust tip and then install a random quiet exhaust tip, Would it make my car lose power and feel like the exhaust is being restrictive?

My hatch has B16a (170 hp version) with intake, header, and exhaust
By Apexracing
#323213 I think he means axle back, honestly if you want quiet and performance, get a canister style exhaust and not a fart can style muffler. The obx twin loop is popular as far as cheaper axle backs go.
By xhardlinerx
Apexracing wrote:I think he means axle back, honestly if you want quiet and performance, get a canister style exhaust and not a fart can style muffler. The obx twin loop is popular as far as cheaper axle backs go.

So do all i need is just a twin loop tip and remove the ebay tip?

I saw one for $92.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-2-5-Twin-Lo ... ad&vxp=mtr

If I can get better performance then I will get the Yonaka exhaust system because I heard that the exhaust is pretty quiet, but if the performance is only like 1whp then I will get the OBX tip.
By FG2_Andrew
#323246 An exhaust, regardless of brand, isn't going to help you THAT much for numbers no matter what you do.

And the Yonaka vs eBay is basically the same thing (minus the axle back) it's just piping.
By Apexracing
#323247 The twin loop would have to be welded on but allot of ep guys like them, they put up good numbers on modded cars.
By xhardlinerx
#323254 I heard the sound of a OBX Twin loop on youtube and it sounds louder and more buzzy than the Yonaka.

I think im going to get the Yonaka for $240 even though I dont want to drop $240. If I do get the yonaka system, I wont have to buy any other exhaust parts right? Like a catalytic conveter or resonator?

I was going to turbo my car in about a year, so I think the ebay exhaust would be okay for that right?
By Apexracing
xhardlinerx wrote:I heard the sound of a OBX Twin loop on youtube and it sounds louder and more buzzy than the Yonaka.

I think im going to get the Yonaka for $240 even though I dont want to drop $240. If I do get the yonaka system, I wont have to buy any other exhaust parts right? Like a catalytic conveter or resonator?

I was going to turbo my car in about a year, so I think the ebay exhaust would be okay for that right?

Its not the muffler that controls the tone of the exhaust. its the size and length of the resonator.
By xhardlinerx
#323257 Im sorry man I dont know anything about exhaust systems. I did many hours of reading of them but I still cant figure out what I need.

So if I buy a Yonaka Exhaust system, I wont need to buy a resonator or catalytic converter right?

If I do buy a axel back exhaust tip, then I would need to buy a resonator and a catalytic converter?

I need to order this tonight so i can start driving a quieter car.

THANKS!
By teal_dx
xhardlinerx wrote:Im sorry man I dont know anything about exhaust systems. I did many hours of reading of them but I still cant figure out what I need.

So if I buy a Yonaka Exhaust system, I wont need to buy a resonator or catalytic converter right?

If I do buy a axel back exhaust tip, then I would need to buy a resonator and a catalytic converter?

I need to order this tonight so i can start driving a quieter car.

THANKS!

Here's the parts of an exhaust - engine to rear bumper:

Header bolts to the head of your motor, directs exhaust under the motor.

catalytic converter a.k.a. the cat (eg is on the left, I believe)
If an exhaust system is a "cat back" system, it goes from the CAT back to the Bumper. A cat will reduce exhaust noise and reduce emissions. It is technically illegal to remove this from your car. Ebay cats are often hollow and do nothing for sound or emissions.

This is the B pipe a.k.a. the Mid Pipe. It goes from the cat to the axle back. It usually has a resonator built in which helps with sound. A resonator is like a pre-muffler. (Not all resonators are created equal - you get when you pay for. Some of the ebay resonators are even hollow with no packing inside to reduce sound.)

This is an Axle Back, Back box, muffler etc... (although it is really more than just a muffler, it has the piping that goes from muffler to B pipe and the tip already attached.) This and the B pipe are both part of a Cat Back system.

If you were to buy just the muffler, it would need to be welded to a piece of curved pipe with a flange to attach to the B pipe.
Just a muffler.

This is an exhaust tip. It makes no difference and most civic mufflers come with one already.
By teal_dx
#323285 Also, if you're having this much difficulty buying an exhaust, I would start learning everything you can about cars, motors, civics etc. before attempting a turbo setup. Always better to research than rushing into something and wasting time/money and possibly damaging your car. :thumb:
By trev0006
#324779 $92 is cheap, wonder what quality it has.

xhardlinerx wrote:
Apexracing wrote:I think he means axle back, honestly if you want quiet and performance, get a canister style exhaust and not a fart can style muffler. The obx twin loop is popular as far as cheaper axle backs go.

So do all i need is just a twin loop tip and remove the ebay tip?

I saw one for $92.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-2-5-Twin-Lo ... ad&vxp=mtr

If I can get better performance then I will get the Yonaka exhaust system because I heard that the exhaust is pretty quiet, but if the performance is only like 1whp then I will get the OBX tip.
By Eg6H2D
#325137 Yonaka Catback is what I would go for check out my EG#2 Thread down below.