B16, B18, B20
By xhardlinerx
#331871 I drove my car for 15 minutes and turned it off when I arrived at the gas station. I got some gas with my radio on and when I finished pumping my car I tried to start my engine and it wouldn't start.

I have to wait 5-10 minutes with my car turned off (no lights on, no radio or anything) and then when I turn the key the engine will start. Otherwise I will just get that engine/battery sound like you need a Jump with cables if you try to start it.

This happens frequently when I turn my car off for a very short period of time ( 1-5 minutes). Even If I drive for 1 hour and then go to a gas station to get something and try to start it up real quick it will not start.

I know that the radio and lights of my car make this problem more severe. (If drove for 15 minutes and go to a gas station for 1 minute while my car was off and the lights and radio were one then I would definitely have to wait 10 minutes before i could start my engine)

Is this a fuel pump problem?
I have 92 SI with a b16 and I can only fill my tank up with around 8 gallons of gas.

Sometimes when I go home and park my car I can hear some pressure knock sounds coming from the rear drivers side where the gas tank is.
By teal_dx
#331873 Not a fuel problem if it won't crank. After sitting for enough time to start, does it fire right up as it should or is it still a little slow to crank? How old is the battery? They usually have a sticker on them somewhere with the year of manufacture.
By bigJOE671
#331896 voltage?

-With engine off?
-With engine at idle and no accessories on?
-With engine at 2000 rpm and no accessories on?
-With engine at idle and accessories (headlights, ac, defroster, wiper, and radio) on?

Also...Swap out your main relay with a known good one to see if that fixes the problem.
Last edited by bigJOE671 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By xhardlinerx
#331904 The engine starts up perfectly after it sits for a while.

If it does not sit for a while and I try to start it, I get the engine starting up noise when I turn the key in and I can get that noise for a long time if I wanted to try to get the engine to start.

The battery is fine it was checked.

I will check the voltage with the criteria that you listed.

So when I purchased the car, I turned the car on and off for some times with the owner in the car. It had the same problem. He told me it was the fuel pump. He said I have to wait 5 minutes before starting it again and I needed to wait until I heard the Fuel Pump Click noise when you turn the key in half way before trying to start the engine.

I think I always heard a click, but there might of been some times I didnt hear it (im not sure I will check)
By 92civic_vx
#331910 check the main relay
By ottofalcon
#332077 Swap ignitions, faulty pickup coils can cause these problems.
By xhardlinerx
#332176 I checked the voltage, everything was normal.

A trusted mechanic thinks its my fuel pump relay
The previous owner told me it was a fuel pump problem when i bought the car.

I just bought a fuelpump relay from rockauto for $33.00.

I will let you know if this fixes the problem