D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By teal_dx
#3580 put my axles in tonight & I can't figure this one out...

My car is a 92 dx that had an automatic tranny with a D15b7 motor.

I swapped in a D16z6 (92 si motor) with manual tranny. The axles came with the swap.

So the D16z6 and manual tranny is in now and I used the axles that came with the motor, but each axle is about 1" short :-?

So I compared to my original axles from my auto tranny and they are the same size, also short.

I'm sure everything is together right and the axles are pushed all the way into the tranny. I have never heard of this happening before... this should all be a direct swap :?
Am I missing anything, I don't need to swap the control arms or knuckles from a 92 si do I?
By ChicagoMike
#3582 Hmmmm, lets see what I can dig up.
By teal_dx
#3606 I took some pics for you to see what is going on:

Left axle pushed in completely:

I stretched it out so the threads came through the knucke and tightened the axle nut just to see...
and it reaches, but the boot is so stretched... that can't be good!

same for the right side:
when I pulled the end thru the knuckle and tightened the nut:
By asianrob
#3610 you are going to have to like bang it in like lift up the spindle and knock it in by pushing it in i dunno if you understand by what i am sayin
By ChicagoMike
#3614 Lets start out simple. Have you counted the splines on the axle just to be sure its the same number as the trans?
By teal_dx
#3616 the axles are already all the way in the tranny, on both sides. the splines on both ends fit fine, the axles just seem a little short.
When I push the outer spline all the way through the knuckle & tighten the axle nut, it stretches out the axle to the point where it looks like the inner joint is about to be pulled apart (last pics). So everything fits properly, it is just the length that is not right.
By asianrob
#3628 mine is like that a little
By ChicagoMike
teal_dx wrote:I guess a better question would be, in the pics showing the stretched inner boots on each side... Is that normal? Should they be stretched that much?

The only problem with having the boot stretched too far like that, is the possiblity of premature boot wear.

Other than that, it shouldnt effect the integrity of the axle.
By EGcivic
#3640 If the driveshaft bolts up ok but the inner cv boot is still streched, why not just undo the outer most clip (of the inner boot) and re-adjust it. Could just look weird if the previous owner put a new boot on with the shafts off the car. Just saying that as the clips look really clean like they have been replaced.
By teal_dx
#3658 EGcivic, maybe that's what happened... these axles came with the motor. maybe the previous owner put new boots on and put the small end of the boot too far away from the joint, causing it to look so stretched... I'll do some comparing
By ChicagoMike
#3691 Whats the latest with this situation??
By teal_dx
#3696 I compared 3 sets of axles... 2 from a manual and my orig auto ones. all sets were the exact same length. all 3 had different boots, and all 3 boots were positioned differently on the axle. So i guess it is normal after all :?
By ChicagoMike
#3697 If you decide to reposition the boot yourself, they do make a tool made just for that clamp around the boot. Might make things a lil easier.