D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By pedro80R
#357482 Hello!

I've been searching on the web and in this board but couldn't find any topics on this one... seems there's a tendency to overheating engines and not overcooling ones...

I've been noticing that my EG - it has a D15B2 (European) that - gets absolutely cold after getting the heater on.
The engine gets to operating temperature, though a bit slowly to my liking, and when I get the heater to hot position and turn the heater fan on (though not really necessary, it just accelerates the process), the engine simply gets cold... I mean really cold, like "I just started the engine right now" cold. It's even worse if I switch on the air flow from the outside.
After I turn everything off, the engine starts to run hot again but it takes ages to get to the optimum temp... Don't think it's the t-stat, because I've never heard of a stat getting stuck after the heater's on (but there's always a first...).

Not really problem but a nuisance because winter's getting here and gas mileage suffers with cold engines, so any help is welcome.

Regards,
By Driv-it-hard
#357483 The heater core actually acts like a second radiator in the case of the car overheating. I would check you coolant level and make sure you dont have any air in the system. Bleeding the system may help. Also are you using water or coolant(50/50) mix ?
By pedro80R
#357503 Hello!

If I understood you right, my car may be without enough coolant and the heater core is working to keep it cool? I'm going to check the coolant level this weekend.

As for the coolant type I know it isn't water but I'm pretty sure that it isn't Honda's OEM coolant... In my country, though manufacturers tend to have 50/50 mix in new cars, most people switch to something less demanding and cheaper... in my country -37ºC is absolutely unheard of, though I understand the protection issue...
By HeikDiesel
#357512 Honestly the less water you run and the more glycol, the less heat transfer your car will see. Antifreeze is just that, it keeps the mixture a liquid. The water is was keeps the car cool.
By Virux
#357513 Yeah it sounds like you have air in your system. If it'll be warm for a while you can just use distilled water to test. Turn on your heat with the car running, let it cool, and then drain the radiator, drain the engine. Open the bleeder valve and fill it up at the radiator. Run the engine until the radiator fan turns on at least twice, cool and refill.
By pedro80R
#357532 Thanks for the replys guys!

I've checked the coolant level this weekend and all was well, so I have to do the bleeding and check for the temps.
Gonna do it when on vacation in the end of the month and let you know the results.

Thanks again,
By suspendedHatch
#357595 The thermostat's job is to maintain a minimum temperature. If the gasket is blown, or it doesn't close all the way, if someone drilled holes in it or put a lower temp thermostat in, you can have problems like the one you're describing.

Has the radiator been upgraded?
By pedro80R
suspendedHatch wrote:The thermostat's job is to maintain a minimum temperature. If the gasket is blown, or it doesn't close all the way, if someone drilled holes in it or put a lower temp thermostat in, you can have problems like the one you're describing.

Has the radiator been upgraded?

The car is stock all the way. A lower temp stat may be the case. Already have a replacement one to try it, maybe, next weekend.

Let you know how it goes.

Later!