D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Beaus_92hatch
#351788 I have a d15b7 engine I'm blowing crazy blue smoke from the exhaust I know it's my piston rings at least that's my idea on it would it be cheaper to rebuild them or to just buy another engine the engine I want would be something resonable for now like the d series vtec but I need to know what is the cheapest route for my budget I'm in college and only work part time for now and I'm tired of doing oil changes all the dang time.

Any ideas I would appreciate it a lot
By Beaus_92hatch
#351795 My budget is only make about 300 every two weeks and yes I have done a swap on my other civic 99 ex it want too difficult but as far as redoing the pistons and Machining everything to get the new pistons to fit if that is even needed I'm not sure this is the first time something like this has happened to me
By teal_dx
#351798 You can pick up a used D15b7 on CL for 300-400 bucks, or I see D16z6's go for around $500. Just be sure the seller isn't shady. Even better if you can see it run in the car first. Do a compression test.
If you get the z6, you'll also need a P28 ecu (another $100) and run a couple of wires to the ecu. You'll gain about 25 HP with the D16z6 and everything else (trans, axles, mounts) are all the same. Before you install the motor would be an ideal time to do the timing belt & water pump unless seller can document that it was recently done.