D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By iThorr
#347947 I am doing a wire tuck, brake tuck, shave, etc and was wanting to know what exactly to do with the charcoal canister. I have the one that mounts on the back of the block but in the shell I got it didn't have the parts that mount on the firewall. I understand that when doing a tuck people remove the part on the firewall, but what do I do with the lines that run to it? same for the openings on the charcoal canister that mounts on the block? Any help is appreciated :D
By iThorr
teal_dx wrote:I haven't ever seen one that mounts to the block... do you mean the black metal crankcase box?

If so, it's just an oil separator.

yes i forgot its called the crankcase box, i do recall seeing it called that
By iThorr
#348049 My question still remains, what do I do with the outlets for the crankcase box, and the lines that go to the charcoal canister on the firewall? the charcoal canister, correct me if I'm wrong, has a line the goes to the fuel tank? I have two or three lines coming from the fuel tank, one going to the fuel rail via fuel filter obviously, and another going to the fuel pressure regulator right? what about the 3rd? I'll try to take a pic tomorrow when i get to work
By teal_dx
iThorr wrote:My question still remains, what do I do with the outlets for the crankcase box, and the lines that go to the charcoal canister on the firewall? the charcoal canister, correct me if I'm wrong, has a line the goes to the fuel tank? I have two or three lines coming from the fuel tank, one going to the fuel rail via fuel filter obviously, and another going to the fuel pressure regulator right? what about the 3rd? I'll try to take a pic tomorrow when i get to work

The crankcase box has a line that goes to the intake manifold. There is a PCV check valve in that line to make it a one-way flow. This way the crank case fumes leaving the box go back into the intake manifold. Those fumes smell awful, you don't want to leave that line open.
On a turbo setup, that line, as well as the one coming from the valve cover, are usually ran to a catch can to separate the oil blow-by and keep that junk from being sucked back into the motor. You can also run a catch can setup, but if you're doing it to de-clutter the bay, it might defeat the purpose.

If you remove the charcoal canister, the only thing I have seen done with the line is to run it down under the car. It does go to the gas tank and people have said that the smell of gas is noticeable after removing it. You'll also see a slight reduction in MPG after removing it. I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe because you have an opening to your gas tank and you're losing a slight amount of fuel through evaporating gas fumes.
You shouldn't seal the line because the liquid inside the tank expands/contracts when it's warm/cool and also you would have a vacuum when the fuel pump tries to suck fuel from the tank if you don't have a way to allow air in to replace the volume of the fuel that is leaving.
By suspendedHatch
#348144 States are starting to require and test the charcoal canister. Bad air quality sucks.

In my experience it accounts for 3 mpg.

When your car sits in the sun, the gas vapor in your tank heats up and expands. It needs a place to go besides the atmosphere where it will cause more pollution than if the car had been running. The same thing happens when people foolishly "top off" their tank. The charcoal absorbs the displaced gas fumes and stores them until certain conditions are met, then the purge valve allows air into the charcoal canister where it then gets sucked into your intake manifold to be burned. Your ECU compensates for this by temporarily injecting less fuel. Honda does it during cruise conditions. I'm not sure if they use it for cold starts.

The charcoal canister is so critical to air pollution that it was refined constantly, mid generation and across different markets. In EGs I've only seen two setups, the passive vacuum controlled setup and the purge control solenoid setup.
By iThorr
teal_dx wrote:The crankcase box has a line that goes to the intake manifold. There is a PCV check valve in that line to make it a one-way flow. This way the crank case fumes leaving the box go back into the intake manifold. Those fumes smell awful, you don't want to leave that line open.
On a turbo setup, that line, as well as the one coming from the valve cover, are usually ran to a catch can to separate the oil blow-by and keep that junk from being sucked back into the motor. You can also run a catch can setup, but if you're doing it to de-clutter the bay, it might defeat the purpose.

If you remove the charcoal canister, the only thing I have seen done with the line is to run it down under the car. It does go to the gas tank and people have said that the smell of gas is noticeable after removing it. You'll also see a slight reduction in MPG after removing it. I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe because you have an opening to your gas tank and you're losing a slight amount of fuel through evaporating gas fumes.
You shouldn't seal the line because the liquid inside the tank expands/contracts when it's warm/cool and also you would have a vacuum when the fuel pump tries to suck fuel from the tank if you don't have a way to allow air in to replace the volume of the fuel that is leaving.

Okay, I'll make sure I leave the line on, and as for the charcoal canister line, I'll run it down like you said you've seen it.

[quote=suspendedHatch]States are starting to require and test the charcoal canister. Bad air quality sucks.

In my experience it accounts for 3 mpg.

When your car sits in the sun, the gas vapor in your tank heats up and expands. It needs a place to go besides the atmosphere where it will cause more pollution than if the car had been running. The same thing happens when people foolishly "top off" their tank. The charcoal absorbs the displaced gas fumes and stores them until certain conditions are met, then the purge valve allows air into the charcoal canister where it then gets sucked into your intake manifold to be burned. Your ECU compensates for this by temporarily injecting less fuel. Honda does it during cruise conditions. I'm not sure if they use it for cold starts.

The charcoal canister is so critical to air pollution that it was refined constantly, mid generation and across different markets. In EGs I've only seen two setups, the passive vacuum controlled setup and the purge control solenoid setup.[/quote]

In Florida we don't do emissions testings or anything else like that, so I won't have to worry about not passing a test, I do not care for adding to our pollution but I'll have to for a short time as the car will be a daily for a period of time.