D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By gijoe985
#318838 So, I've got a 93 Civic VX. I just did a tune up, I've only had it for about 1000 miles of driving. I am also an auto shop teacher, so I have a pretty good knowledge of cars, engines, and diagnostics, but this one is stumping me so far....

Pretty simple... I try coasting with engine off on the downhills of my 75 mile (one way) commute to work. I compression start the engine to get it going. I've done this all the time with my old/other cars. I've done this with 90% success with the VX, but on multiple occasions it has just not wanted to restart. It has occurred on long coasts (down a moutnain pass) as well as a short one (an off ramp). Of the 3 times it has happened, twice it started after a few seconds of being stubborn. The other two times I had to pull over and continue trying to start it with no luck until all of the studden it worked.

The X factor here for me is lean burn mode... I don't know a ton about it, so I am wondering if it could be related. Otherwise, any ideas?

I will say that I am going to keep trying with key starting to see if it makes a difference...
By JohnRM
#318840 I've had this problem before. Have you tried listening for the fuel pump (it's like a little humming noise)? I've always waited for this to end and it usually takes likes three seconds. Sometimes I don't hear it engage and what I do is try to start it and turn it all the way off, then start to listen again for it. I know this is a weird way to diagnose the problem but I've successfully done this multiple times whenever its happened
By gijoe985
#318852 I had someone else suggest that. Today I tried only key starting it. I thought I was in the clear, doing it about 5-8 times on the way to work, but then it would not start. I turned the key all the way off, pause, then on, pause, and then it started fine...

Now, what is creating it? Is it a "problem" or is it just me turning the key off and then on too quickly perhaps...
By crazy-88
teal_dx wrote:If you're not hearing the fuel pump every time, it may be the main relay going bad.

that's what my civic had when I first got it. it would turn on after 5 mins of cooling down on a regular day, but on the hot days. it would take a good 20mins to restart. very embarrassing at the Costco, when u have a line of cars wating on u lol.
By gijoe985
#323581 Well, this problem has continued. Yesterday I had to pull over for 5 minutes.

I did notice this time that the fuel pump was not priming every time that I cycled the key. Can someone confirm for me that it should prime EVERY time you cycle the key fully off and then on?

Is there any way to test the relay, or just replace it and just rule out that possibility?
By teal_dx
#323583 It should prime every time the key is turned. I would suspect the solder joints within the main relay are aging. They crack over time from heating-cooling (expanding-contracting) and can be re-soldered - or a new main relay is $60-something at the dealership.

It's a 10 min fix if you have a small soldering iron :thumb:
By gijoe985
teal_dx wrote:It should prime every time the key is turned. I would suspect the solder joints within the main relay are aging. They crack over time from heating-cooling (expanding-contracting) and can be re-soldered - or a new main relay is $60-something at the dealership.

Will try today!
By Punksz6
teal_dx wrote:It should prime every time the key is turned. I would suspect the solder joints within the main relay are aging. They crack over time from heating-cooling (expanding-contracting) and can be re-soldered - or a new main relay is $60-something at the dealership.

Exactly as Teal_dx suggests. Common problem with our gen civic's. Easy fix and I have also had the fuel station embarrassment on multiple occasions in the past. I re-soldered a couple main relays and there as good as new.