D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps

To fix or Swap?

33%
67%
By BrownWolph
#317726 I have a 1992 4dr LX that had a D16y7 put in it. I had NOTHING to do with that swap but it is my problem now. From my investigation on the interwebs it would seem the VTec needs to be wired for this swap to work correctly. If that had not been done, could that be what is causing my problem with revs bouncing? I want to keep the D16y8 in there but I just cannot seen to figure out what is causing this problem. I have changed the dizzy, wires, plugs, throttle body, map, iacv, (all 92 eg parts btw) and sprayed for vac leaks and still this issue persists. :x The original ECU is in the car unmodified.

SO! The questions are:
1) How do I check for Vtec wiring?
2) Should I get a chipped ECU and which one do I buy?
3) Should I buy a new wire harness?
4) I want a new intake manifold and TB. What should I buy?

OR

5) Damn all that shit to hell and swap all that shit out for a new motor and which one should that be?

I have a MAX budget of $2850.00 and I just want to get that car on the road as a daily driver. I'm fuckin tired of walking!

Thank you all in advanced.
By teal_dx
BrownWolph wrote:
SO! The questions are:

1. How to wire vtec is in the mini-me swap thread: (although you say it is D16y7 which is a non vtec motor, but then you said it was a D16y8 too.)

2. No need for a chipped ECU on a stock motor. If you have a D16y8 use a P28, if you have a D16y7, use a P06.

3. Not sure what harness you have now or how hacked up it is, but I wouldn't buy a new harness. Just run the 2 wires for vtec. :thumb:

4. Get the problems fixed before adding aftermarket parts. It's easier to troubleshoot things on a stock motor than a modified motor.

Lets figure out your idle issue first. Do you know what year civic your D16y7 or D16y8 is from? Also do you know if it was from an auto or manual car?

And is your civic auto or manual?
By BrownWolph
teal_dx wrote:
BrownWolph wrote:
SO! The questions are:

1. How to wire vtec is in the mini-me swap thread: (although you say it is D16y7 which is a non vtec motor, but then you said it was a D16y8 too.)

2. No need for a chipped ECU on a stock motor. If you have a D16y8 use a P28, if you have a D16y7, use a P06.

3. Not sure what harness you have now or how hacked up it is, but I wouldn't buy a new harness. Just run the 2 wires for vtec. :thumb:

4. Get the problems fixed before adding aftermarket parts. It's easier to troubleshoot things on a stock motor than a modified motor.

Lets figure out your idle issue first. Do you know what year civic your D16y7 or D16y8 is from? Also do you know if it was from an auto or manual car?

And is your civic auto or manual?

Sorry it is a D16Y7 I made a mistake.

Has a PO6 in it now

Oh I believe it to be chopped to bits! :cry: What two vtec wires?

I have no idea where the D16Y7 came from. And no idea if it was auto or manual either. Carfax says the car changed hands 7 times in 12 years since I sold it.
By BrownWolph
#317730 Image

By teal_dx
#317738 D16y7 isn't a vtec motor so no need to worry about hooking up vtec. :thumb:

It does appear to have a different intake manifold and throttle body on it though. Can you get an overall pic of the motor?
By teal_dx
#317739 Also I see a small vacuum line under the throttle body that is open. That could be your vacuum leak causing bouncing idle. :wink: Make sure that no hoses are open. Listen for a hissing when the engine is running to find the vacuum leak.
By BrownWolph
#317740 I'll take a full pic later and i put a bolt on that hose.
By d-mon
#317748 you can count on it running like ass until you connect the tps.
is this car an automatic?
By BrownWolph
d-mon wrote:you can count on it running like ass until you connect the tps.
is this car an automatic?

As you will see in the pics later, the TPS is plugged up. Yes this is an auto. I'm telling you, I would pay good money to have one of you EG experts come work on my car.
By BrownWolph
#317775 Well here ya go. Pics of my hot mess Civic.

By d-mon
#317806 ^^^no vtec, so don't worry about it.
a p06 should run a y7 reasonably well.
are you using your b7 distributor?
any cels?
By BrownWolph
#317809 Image

This is why I think I need a new wire harness and throttle body
By BrownWolph
d-mon wrote:^^^no vtec, so don't worry about it.
a p06 should run a y7 reasonably well.
are you using your b7 distributor?
any cels?

Yes the distributor is for a 92-95 B7

What are cells?
By d-mon
#317824 use the map on the tb.
cel = check engine light
By BrownWolph
#317928 GOTDAMN idle is still bouncing. And if I touch the TB tensioner (to rev the motor) it shoots up to 4500rpms as if my whole foot is on the gas. And if I ever so lightly tap it back the other way it calms down but goes back to bouncing.