D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By rak511
#306726 Alrite... so i have a d16y7 in my car now and i just picked up a z6 head yesterday with intake... my plans are to turbo it... wat do you guys suggest i get for turboing it... i still have to get the p28 ecu and the wiring harness as well... let me know wat you guys think i shuld do to get it ready for boost... i was already told ARP head studs... thanks!
By teal_dx
#306731 How many miles? How much HP are you looking for?
The ARP head studs are a good start. :thumb:
You'll need some software for engine management (Hondata, Crome, eCtune, AEM). You'll need to get your EU chipped & tuned by a tuner. This is the most important thing of all :thumb:
Make sure your engine is healthy enough to handle the power. If you have not done a basic tune-up, now is a good time.

Also you shouldn't need the entire harness... You're only adding vtec which is 2 wires to the ecu and 1 ground wire.
Here's a thread showing how to run the 3 wires yourself: http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10
By rak511
#306744 Im not looking for much hp... maybe like 175 just for now... i dont rlly know how to check if the head is in good shape since im not a mechanic or anything and idk miles on it
By rak511
#306759 Can some1 give me a parts list... from my understanding i can hard wire vtec into the car... but im gonna need the p28 ecu... the car is in obd2 right now, its a p06 ecu? Does that affect anything? Other than that from wat i understand im going to need the z6 head gasket cuz that has lower compression, and the z6 timing belt... will i need to change the dizzy to the z6 as well?
By teal_dx
rak511 wrote:Can some1 give me a parts list... from my understanding i can hard wire vtec into the car... but im gonna need the p28 ecu... the car is in obd2 right now, its a p06 ecu? Does that affect anything? Other than that from wat i understand im going to need the z6 head gasket cuz that has lower compression, and the z6 timing belt... will i need to change the dizzy to the z6 as well?

What year is your civic? If it's 92-95, it's an OBD1 car that somebody put an OBD2 motor into. (the only difference is a few sensors, distrubitor, injectors etc.)
First step is figuring out what you already have.

You have a D16y7 motor (obd2) and a P06 ecu (obd1)
Is your engine harness OBD1 also or did they hack it up to the point where it's sketchy? What about the injectors? Distributor? What intake manifold do you have? You'll need a new intake manifold gasket, to match your intake.

If you're using a z6 head, you will need the D16z6 distributor, as others will not fit.
It's OBD1, so if your engine harness is obd1 with the same dizzy plugs, you have a direct plug in.

P28 ecu is plug & play. Run the 2 wires mentioned previously and the ground and you're good there.

As you mentioned, z6 head gasket, new z6 timing belt, might as well get a y7 water pump while you have it all apart unless you have already replaced yours.

Also keep in mind that the d16y7 head has the smaller, squared off combustion chambers. So when you put on a z6 head with the slightly larger, round combustion chambers, you are increasing the size of the combustion chamber which will lower the compression ratio. :wink:
By rak511
#307259 The intake manifold is the z6 from what i have been told... so I already have a z6 intake, but i got 1 on the head so now i guess i have 2 z6 intake manifolds... lol... but the harness looks like it might have been messed with... not to positive though... What I have on my list of parts so far is ARP head studs, valve cover and gasket, head gasket, and the gasket for headers... But you said that I will need the z6 distributor and dizzy?
By rak511
#307260 Also forgot to add the Z6 timing belt and the Y7 Water pump
By rak511
#307373 Ya... and the P28 Ecu as well ill need... But for the wiring harness i can just hard wire vtec into the ecu?
By rak511
#308669 Just picked up my valve cover and distributor... just need ecu, arp head studs, and 2 gaskets... wat throttle body do you think would be best for the z6 head... I was told go with the ls tb
By rak511
#308782 So you think I should go with the ls throttle body? Or is there anything bigger than that I should get?
By EJ1_MK
#308783 You will also need a cam gear to get that in timing belt to hit all the timing marks correctly. I would also take the head to a machine shop to have it checked out and cleaned up.

Teal_dx pretty much gave you the rest.
By rak511
#308891 So no need to go bigger with the z6 manifold?