D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By fcb civic
#234305 hi everyone
my car is civic eg8 sedan
i have a kind of engine u call it D15B 3 stage vtec
any way i have these thing like in the photo
whats the difrent between the engine comes with one or two ???
and can i install a supercharger in this engine
my car is automatic and the engine is swaped before 2 months

edit by teal_dx: I modified your thread title to make it more descriptive
By Fada Blayne
#234325 Looks like a twin vtec solenoid or something :? Is that a odb2 motor? Anyways yes with the right tune and all the associated parts u should be able to run a supercharger without problem :)
By teal_dx
#234327 You have a very sought after motor, very hard to find one in the US. I would think you could use any D series supercharger however the ECU tuning may be a more complicated process due to the 3 stage vtec.
It's unfortunate it is an automatic, manual transmission would be ideal for a build such as this and they are more durable when it comes to handling additional power. If you must stay with the auto, maybe someone can give advice on beefing up the auto transmission.

Nice engine you have :thumb:
By teal_dx
#234329 One of our moderators, suspendedhatch, installed a 3 stage vtec D15B in his hatchback. He spent a lot of time learning, modifying and fine tuning the motor to achieve the best balance of power & fuel economy. Check out his build thread too:

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=4720

:thumb:
By fcb civic
teal_dx wrote:One of our moderators, suspendedhatch, installed a 3 stage vtec D15B in his hatchback. He spent a lot of time learning, modifying and fine tuning the motor to achieve the best balance of power & fuel economy. Check out his build thread too:

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=4720

ididnt understan any thing from his bulid up but thank you mano
any way i can have a supercharger yaaa
ok what will give me extra horsepower in that engine turbo or super???

and why the vtec is 2 not 1
By teal_dx
and why the vtec is 2 not 1

Here's some more basic info about your motor and why it is unique.

I personally would not turbocharge or supercharge this motor. The 3 stage vtec D15B has been especially fine tuned by honda to achieve excellent fuel economy and still have decent power. I linked you to suspendedhatch's build to give you a preview of modifying this engine, and what to look forward when tuning the motor of you do heavy modifications.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/

3-stage VTEC

Examine the SOHC VTEC and SOHC VTEC-E implementations. The clever Honda engineers saw that it is a logical step to merge the two implementations into one. This is in essence the 3-stage VTEC implementation. 3-stage VTEC is implemented on the D15B 1.5l SOHC engine in which the VTEC-E mechanism is combined with the power VTEC mechanism.

Many of us probably has laughed at the poor ignorant layman who said "I want power AND economy from my Honda". We know of course that power and economy are mutually exclusive implementations. Honda decided not to abide by this rule. Now, with 3-stage VTEC, we get BOTH power and economy !.

The diagram below illustrates the 3-stage VTEC implementation. The intake rocker arms have two VTEC pin actuation mechanisms. The VTEC-E actuation assembly is located above the camshaft while the VTEC (power) actuation assembly is the standard wild-cam lobe and rocker assembly.

Below 2500rpm and with gentle accelerator pressure, neither pin gets actuated. The engine operates in 12V mode with very good fuel combustion efficiency. When the right foot gets more urgent and/or above 2500rpm, the upper pin gets actuated. This is the VTEC-E mechanism at work and the engine effectively enters into the '2nd stage'. Now D15B 3-stage works in 16V mode (both intake valves works from the same mild cam-lobe).

Stage 2 operates from around 2500rpm to 6000rpm. When the rpm exceeds 6000rpm, the VTEC mechanism activates the wild cam-lobe pushing the engine into the '3rd stage', the power stage. Now the engine gives us the full benefit of its 130ps potential !

The 3-stage VTEC D15B engine is used on the current EK-series JDM Civic/Civic Ferio VTi/Vi together with Honda's new Multimatic CVT transmission. Stage-1 12V or "lean-burn" operation mode is indicated to the driver by an LED on the dashboard. The 2500rpm cutover from lean-burn to normal 16V operation in fact varies according to load and driver requirements. With gentle driving, lean-burn can operate up to 3000rpm or higher. Stage-3 may not always be activated. The Multimatic transmission has a selector for Economy, Drive, and Sports mode. In Economy mode for eg, the ECU operates with a max rpm of around 4800rpm even at Wide-Open-Throttle positions.

The essence of 3-stage VTEC is power AND economy implemented on a 1.5l SOHC PGM-Fi engine. Many people mistakes 3-stage VTEC as a "superior" evolution of the power oriented DOHC VTEC implementation, describing DOHC VTEC as "the older 2-stage VTEC" and implying an inferior relationship. This is totally wrong because DOHC VTEC is tuned purely for high specific output and sports/racing requirements. 3-stage VTEC is in truth an evolution of SOHC VTEC and VTEC-E, merging the two implementations into one.
By fcb civic
#234422 thx again man
in my case my automatic car
what should the ecu for my car ???
i want to know the number if you can
By d-mon
#234468 lol, here the motor is cheaper than the ecu :D
importers have tons of them that they are trying to get rid of.
(search ebay motors for d15b much??)
sure, you can throw a (jackson racing) supercharger on it, with an obd2 piggy back ems (greedy emanage, anyone? anyone?)
done

and if i lived near teal, i would buy his hx, swap in a b18b, and send you the ecu and harnesss :)
By teal_dx
#234475 This is not your average D15, cars such as my HX and the VX only have 2 stage vtec with lean burn mode, not the 3 stage (with the dual solenoids). So the ecu will not operate the 3 stage vtec. (My HX has a P2N ecu I believe)

HX and VX have vtec-e which is lean burn but don't have the performance vtec which is what the d16z6, d16y8 have. The 3 stage vtec D15B combines both types of vtecs for the best of both worlds - power and fuel economy. This is not the standard JDM D15B which is a common swap into our cars, it's a completely different animal. Check out some of the links I posted above to learn more about this engine and how it works - It's actually a very impressive motor even by today's standards, 15+ years after Honda was putting them in their cars.
By d-mon
#234497 the valve cover and intake manifold lead me to believe it is an obd2 d15b dual stage vtec.
and i agree, like your hx motor, properly tuned, it can make the same power as a y8 while retaining the better mpg.

op is on his own for the auto to manual swap.
By d-mon
By fcb civic
#234519 dudes am lost here i just want to know what is the ecu number for autmatic in my case ???
ecu=autmatic= ??????????
code number
By d-mon
#234533 p2j like teal said
i saw one on craigslist for $525 usd :cry:
By fcb civic
d-mon wrote:p2j like teal said
i saw one on craigslist for $525 usd :cry:

I'm sorry to bother you but can u show a photo if that possible where this code is writen (p2j)