D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Az1k1
#19634 hello people,

i just joined recently and i apologise if i sound noobish.

i have been searching and searching for information on the possible D series power plant that are avaliable for an EG.

Since i live in Australia... Even though there is lots of Vtec but only a hand full of ppl that are into D-series..

I often drool...with all your cars having good items and support... where as here there is nothing close to what you guys have...

i have read what Sire wrote on the D15b7 mini-me swap.. i thinking if i could find a top end of a y8. cause here they dont sell seperate..

My questions is pretty simple...N/A only not boosted

1. What d-series engine would i need to have in order for a 14.5 1/4 pass.
2. would it be worth it in money term?

I would like to see those B-series drivers in a state of disbelieve..

As much as i love B-series.. i would love to be different.

been the under dog is so much fun..

Currently i have a D15B7. with full X force exhaust. 17.0 sec 1/4mile

these are the cheapest price i have gotten..

P28 ECU $AUS280 (rip off)
D16y8 engine and wiring harness $AUS700 ( :cry: )
D15B half-cut $AUS1,500 (Tempting) OBD1
cams $AUS??? non existance

14.5 i realised is a lot for a D series. But in the end if you can beat them join them..
Even though i would like to see a few good D-series in Aus but i dont think is going to happen any sooner..

i do appreciate all the help...
By ChicagoMike
#19635 It is very do-able!! You just need to pick and choose your parts wisely. A good cam with upgraded valvetrain, quality header, high compression pistons, and a good form of tuning would probably get you to your goal. :thumb:
By stefan
#19640 You could do a mini-me, but you can also buy an entire D16Z6, Z9 of Y8.
Quality material is the next step, and very pricy...

If you want to be different, swap to a K20A or something :D
By Az1k1
#19717 i appreciate the advice.. but

i have no clue what you guys talking about quality..

if you could give me two examples of 2 different engine and i have to see if i could find those parts here...

no point me starting if i cant find the parts here..

like..

D16y8 top end
d15b7 bottom
p28ECu
throttle body??
cams??
anything else that could help

i really appreciate the input
By ohDirka
#19746 d16y8 intake manifold...its supposedly the best flowing sohc stock intake...and by quality we mean buying good brands and not buying the cheap stuff
By teal_dx
#19918 not sure if your car is manual or automatic transmission, but converting to manual will shave 1 sec off your 1/4 mi time. If you can get the short geared Si/Ex tranny then even better :thumb:

Also, consider putting your car on a diet. Lighter wheels is a big help. Then remove the spare tire & jack. You can go further and pull the rear seat or gut the whole interior if you're crazy like me :crazy:
I even removed all the sound deadening tar for an additional ~10 lbs.
For every 100 lbs you can remove, it will shave about .1 sec off your 1/4 mile time.
Best of all, removing weight is free :woot:
By Chance
#19921 ^^ yup remove weight!^^
By Sire
#19969 I would check out this thread http://www.civic-eg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=979 by Stefan...

This would get you a long way too I think, especially if you also put on sticky tires and light wheels... :thumb:
By chnzgoofball
#19992 my choice would be get a z6 bottom block with a y8 head and a blox intake manifold, headers, cams, intake and a tune. ull probably be able to break 14's with that setup depending on driving skills