D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By teal_dx
built-EGy8 wrote:What random sensors are not needed for OBD1. some distributor wiring diagrams, distributor ripinning, whats better z6 dizzy or y8 dizzy? repinning the ECU and wiring v-tec, also swapping the thermostat wiring from yellow red to red yellow? map sensor wire swapping. I need to know all of this. haha can comeone help me out?

So you are putting a y8 into what year/model civic?

when putting a y8 into an EG:
Y8 has a knock sensor that you will not use. Also the y8 has upstream and downstream 02 sensors. you only use the first o2 sensor. The distributor harness will not fit (OBD2 cars use one big plug, OBD1 cars use 2 smaller plugs) But all the wires are the same so you can convert the plugs and re-pin them to match. Or just use a distributor from a D15b7 on the y8 head it bolts up perfect. D16z6 will not fit.

For wiring vtec, you'll need to run 2 wires.
On the oil pressure sensor on the vtec head, you'll need to run 2 wires. one ground, and the other to D6 on a P28 ecu.
The single wire for the vtec solenoid will run to A4 on the P28.

I'm not sure if the MAP sensors are different, If they are, just swap map sensors with your original, or just use your original throttle body all together.

I have not heard of people swapping thermostats either, so I'd just try the one that comes on the y8.

You'll also need to extend the wiring for the IAT sensor that plugs into the back of your intake manifold on OBD1 cars.

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10
There's a link with some more details you might find useful. it is for only doing a y8 mini-me swap, but a lot of that info also applies to a full y8 swap :thumb: