D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By teal_dx
iserb wrote:TRUTH??? you know that I am right now for the last 2 months - smiled))
but what about fuel cards, point of VTEC, compression and oter .... just install? olug and play ))))?

You advise to take the P28 OBD1 1995, or P2P CIVIC EX OBD2B 1999 (it was my AT gear, but it have immobilazer)?

If so all is well then I'll do it soon!! HURRAY!

I'm sorry, I missed before when you mentioned your civic was 6th gen.
It will be easiest then to use the P2P ecu and keep everything OBD2.

The cam timing is different between OBD1 and OBD2, so you may want to use an ajdustable cam gear on the d16z6 to perfect the timing.

OBD2 uses a knock sensor, secondary 02 sensor, and crank sensor. D16z6 does not have these, so you will have check engine errors.
The way around this is to get a P28 ecu and chip it with software such as Hondata, Neptune, AEM etc...
Then get an OBD1 to OBD2 conversion harness to use the P28 ecu on your obd2 harness.

Also the distributor harness and fuel injector clips will be different.

Putting OBD1 engine in OBD2 car is much more difficult than OBD2 engine in OBD1 car.
By teal_dx
kinta94 wrote:also do i use the y8 manifold thing i circled or one off the b7 because its an obd1 ?

and if i use the b7 one i have to trim the green casting that i circled because when i try to screw it in it does not fit correctly

sorry if these are noob questions but what is the thing i circled?

Red circle is IACV (Idle Air Control Valve)

Use your OBD1 IACV or the OBD2 IACV, either one will work. I've tried them both.
The OBD1 one is a little bigger which will requiring trimming off that square bit of aluminum casting sticking out on the back.

For the head bolts, Try test fitting the ones for your block first. Then if any of them don't fit, try a z6.
By iserb
#185184 tnx) i know how do it with MT transmission. we alredy do it with d14a3 and d16y8 HEAD (p28 ecu)< about distributor, clips, harnes... this ok.

i'm trying do it again, but with AT transmission.
im dont know how OLD ECU will be with NEW AT...
i mean p28 with my s4pa AT.

becose old P28 (sorry) uses m24a AT in 1992-95 years.
By teal_dx
im dont know how OLD ECU will be with NEW AT...

I see the problem now...

Here's what i found from google:

S1LA - 4-speed auto with lock-up clutch
S4PA, S5MA - 4-speed auto with electronic control
S4XA - 4-speed auto with Transmission Control Module
AR4A - 4-speed auto controlled by Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

CIVIC 1986-87, Case Code CA
CIVIC 1988-91, Case Code L4, ML4A,
CIVIC 1996-2000, Case Code A4RA, B4RA, BDRA, M4RA
CIVIC 2001-04, Case Code BMXA, SLXA

The only info I found on the M24A was that it was 4 speed automatic. I didn't find the type of transmission it was as the others above.

I would compare the two... do they have the same sensors on both of them? If so, I think you would be OK.

However, I think the 92-95 auto transmission uses a cable from the throttle body to help determine shifting while the 96-00 uses sensors.

So because of that I think it would not work. The OBD1 ecu will not know how to shift the OBD2 transmission. You would need a 92-95 auto tranny and the hardware to make it work (throttle body, extra cable)
I'm not sure if that is worth all of the trouble...
By iserb
#185392 thanks man!)
hank you very much that the answer so well, success in your affairs and tunnnig with honda)

ps. if I find something that will write here, good luck!
By iserb
However, I think the 92-95 auto transmission uses a cable from the throttle body to help determine shifting while the 96-00 uses sensors.

nop )) Civic 96-00 uses cable also )) 1 cabel to Tranny, 1 cabel to axel.

throttle body 5Gen = throttle body 6gen.

S4PA haven't electronic block, i think m24a haven't too....

and i know one project, where on civic 96 install tranny 92.... s4pa => m24a.

but m24a=>s4pa ??? must think...
today, i must see connctors both. compare it)
By OleFolk
#192614 I have an Eg dx with the D15b. If i where to mini swap would it be better to swap to a z6 or a y8? and how much will i benefit from this swap?
By OleFolk
#192665 hope someone can answer at least the second question
By teal_dx
OleFolk wrote:I have an Eg dx with the D15b. If i where to mini swap would it be better to swap to a z6 or a y8? and how much will i benefit from this swap?

the dx has the D15b7, big difference from the D15B. If your car has already been swapped with the D15b, keep that.
You can do a y8 or z6 head on your D15b7 block. y8 will have a few more HP due to higher compression, and require higher octane gas than the z6 head.
You can use the D15b7 dizzy on the y8 head too. Z6 dizzy is different.
By OleFolk
#192772 much appreciated and i apologize it is a D15b7.

have any idea about how much power increase one would get out of a Y8 head on a D15b7?
By OleFolk
#192842 see, the legend right there folks ^. Thank you :thumb: :thumb: