Post YOUR Del Sol here
By chrono404
#128438 That is a Professional Quality DIY Peice for Sure. The End Result is just insane. I love the way each pod flows into the next. If I saw that at a Honda Meet I would think you bought it from a Pro tuning shop or something. Still cant express how impressed I am buy this.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do next. :thumb:
By the ghoul
chrono404 wrote:That is a Professional Quality DIY Peice for Sure. The End Result is just insane. I love the way each pod flows into the next. If I saw that at a Honda Meet I would think you bought it from a Pro tuning shop or something. Still cant express how impressed I am buy this.

it actually looks like it needs a bit more refining in real-life, but thank you!
it was a fun little on-and-off weekend project
eg_turbo_hatch wrote:looks great :thumb: it almost looks factory 8)

oh man that tares it, i was 50/50 but now i gotta carbon wrap it!!
By eg_turbo_hatch
the ghoul wrote:
chrono404 wrote:That is a Professional Quality DIY Peice for Sure. The End Result is just insane. I love the way each pod flows into the next. If I saw that at a Honda Meet I would think you bought it from a Pro tuning shop or something. Still cant express how impressed I am buy this.

it actually looks like it needs a bit more refining in real-life, but thank you!
it was a fun little on-and-off weekend project
eg_turbo_hatch wrote:looks great :thumb: it almost looks factory 8)

oh man that tares it, i was 50/50 but now i gotta carbon wrap it!!

haha i think that carbon wrap will look hot to! :thumb:
By the ghoul
#129095 got some bits in exchange for some of mine

- ITR front and rear sways

- energy suspension poly bushing set

- extra fenders

- even more intirror bits!

- after market shifter linkage with short throw

- no-name rear strut bar

also...

the correct guage got here today, so installed both the boost and af guage.. now waiting on the oil pressure to show.

i think they will look alright

so here is my wicked high tech heater block of plate

serriously, i didnt feel like doing any thing fancy, no one will ever see it cheap, quick, and will work..

so during the day

and lit up at night
By the ghoul
teal_dx wrote:that gauge cluster is awesome work :thumb:

thank you very much...
i swear i will try to make a fabrication thread when ever i get some time...
By the ghoul
#129920 so here it is; i recieved the boost guage and oil pressure guage in the mail :boink:
got down to spee industries and picked up the last fitting i needed for my super cheap ebay turbo setup, and started my mockup..

intresting thig i found from the last owners..
guess they didnt want any one to steal their cat!

organization is key to any project

got all the componets hung in place, the manifold is drilled incorrectly and i had to remove one of the studs to get it to line up for mockup, none of the i/c pipe lined up, i ended up cutting a bunch of the tubing , clocking the turbo, and had two bits of tube left over!, that tube setup is the first thing im swapping out!.
the only other thing that i had a major issue with was the down pipe... i ended up having to cut off one of the ac core mounts, cutting two slits into the down pipe bend and opening up the radius of it just to getthe thing to clear properly!!

yeah there is a lot of fail in this kit....
the mainfold pipes are natorious for splitting welds, the turbos are known to blow oil seals, and they keep putting the wrong block fitting into the kits (its supposed to be 1/8"bpt not 1/8"npt)
im a certified welder up to 3/8" mild steel (every position other than overhead) so im not worried about the welds.
I also picked up an oil restrictor valve (not too sure how much to restrict) and the correct oil fitting...

i will be upgrading the down pipe, and mainfold pipe right away, then getting a cold tube setup... why not the turbo wast gate and bov?
well i already have a good (real) Hks bov. and I havent finished building my other engine yet, so i dont know what style/size turbo to go with just yet, also i dont know how big of a waste gate to get (38mm seems to be standard, and jan has a nice one for a good price....)
but dispite every thing, im still in good spirits about this, i think it will be a good cheap and chearfull setup...
if any thing it will be a good learning experence either way!!! LOL

that was all last night,
today i got her back on all fours and put my super rice z3 fenders on it (i love em!)
By the ghoul
#129978 finished the install,
then realized what those doughnut bits in the waste gate kit were for.... guess thats the seal for the valve... :rofl:
fired it all up and just felt a constant puffing outta the exhaust dump tube...
also got to look up how to do all the vaccume lines... no so sure how to go about the boost controller "came with a fancy T fitting that only let air flow thru in two directions... other appears to be plugged" and there are two vaccume ports on the waste gate and bov... not so sure what to do with them?
once the research is done, and i have some more vaccume line and a mosture filter, i will hook up the boost guage and start playing around...
should have the cable to start playing with the engine manigment by the end of the week along with the wide band AF guage....

shes commin along!

By Ajax1989
#129980 im jealous 8)

looks good man
just be careful i hear bad things bout
those ebay turbos

keep up the good work!!

cant wait to see whats next :thumb:
By the ghoul
#130050 Review on turbo kit:

OMG WEEEEEEEEEEE

even running hobbled together for the time being (no more than 5 psi) the things a beast!

forgot to tell you guys this,

I stated when i first got the car it didnt feel much faster than the D16 in the old hatch ( i thought it was a d16z6 block and a y6 head... i was wrong it was all d16z6).... Well i found out why.... the cat was almost 100% carbon!! there was one or two little thru holes and that was it!

so while i was hooking up the turbo i replaced the cat with a bit of manifold pipe (double layered with badding between to cut down on the rasp)...

unforunetly this adds a whole new list of parts to buy

- fix ebrake

- turbo timer

- tires (cant keep these planted!)

- injectors

- fule pump
94_jdm_ferio wrote:im jealous 8)

looks good man
just be careful i hear bad things bout
those ebay turbos

keep up the good work!!

cant wait to see whats next :thumb:

yeah dude, i dont trust it at all!
ima have a 12 mm wrench and extra filter just incase it starts acting up. That way i can pull off the fmic tube, slap a filter on it, and unplug the piggy back and get to where i need to go...

id be extreamly happy if this setup made it the winter, after that the new engine should be built and i can start upgrading the turbo system little by little (new hot and cold pipes are topps on the list!)
By the ghoul
#130159 lol,
well something happend but im not all that sure what...
oh prolly best to tell this from the very beginning...
in the morning half way to work i layed into it, at about 6500rpm she fell on her face and sputtered...
ok so i figgure keep it at around 5500 rpm shift ill be fine...
between lunch and after work i prolly did about 6-7 pulls like this 2 gears each pull...
made damn sure to let her cool doown and warm up each stop.....

well on the way home i loose track and hit the 6300 mark and she kicked a check engine light and went into safety...

well i pulled the backup fuse, and let her sit for about 20 min....

after that i drove up to mijer and she seemed just fine....

after mijer (30-45 min later) i get out onto the main road taking it easy because there is no reasion to push it...
well about a mile down the road i look in my rear view mirror and see some smoak trailing me... black smoak... oil smoak

speaking of smoak i saw a lady ouside of a smoak shop holding up a sign that said "free sample cigretts" crazy hu?

well ok the oil smoak... no rhyme or reasion to it and lots of it... no set pattern, i tried goosing it,
engine braking... its so random that i was going streight line constant rpm she would smoak real bad (embarrisingly bad) then stop then a half mile later start smoaking again....

ok so here is what i came up with ;
A: oil seal in turbo is already shot (even tho i was running a restricter vavle at 3/4 open)
B: valve stem seals, throwing it out there, unlikely because usually they are just slow drippers, most the oil you see is on start up.
c: ring/piston crackage, again unlikely to me, yes i did have that good knock earlier, but it would be smoaking all the time, not just really really bad once in a while...

at the moment i dont have the time to take the turbo out of the equation and put the stock headder back on to troublshoot, and this will be a wasted effort if it is the engine...
i have no real effective way to test the valve stem seals other than eleminating the other options...
so i investagated the ring/piston crackage...
i pulled the plugs and looked at them....
ok not the best way but it works till i get my hands on my dads compression tester.
so as you can see they look just about the same across the board...
also today i closed down the restrictor to 1/3 open... if it smoakes less or not at all.. that would be a good indicator that the issue is the turbo oil seals.

tomorrow i will compression test it and if it turns out the same as pre-turbo, ill do an un-install on the turbo system...
LOL

ran it just enough to get addicted to boost, im just blown away by the diffrence even at minimal output on the turbo's part....
i kinda assumed the turbo in this kit would be junk... but i never thought it wouldnt even last a month!!!
By the ghoul
egsedanguy wrote:sounds like an oil seal on the turbo.

maaaaan
i hope your right!
im about 90% sure thats what it is as well....
By the ghoul
#130299 compression test: (results reading from transmission > timing)
180, 180, 180, 170 psi
seeing the compression test looked good, and with the feeling that if the seals are bad in a $50 ebay turbo there is no way i want to spend another $200 for a rebuild, i closed the restrictor valve all the way (cut all oil supply from the turbo) and test drove... 2 miles up to the bank, then 2 miles back driving slightly more aggressively;
slight wisps of smoke at stop light, some burning oil smell no massive smoke cloud as before.
2 miles back to work, again at stop light slight wisps but nothing major....

seems it was the oil seals...

but this HAS taught me something. I obviously do care if the engine goes pop, and it would be incredibly stupid of me to tempt fate twice.... especially when I have a line on some injectors, the air fuel gauge is here and ready to install, and the tuning cable will be here this weekend…. Also seeing how I have to research a buy a new turbo any way which will lend to more down time… so im going to swap out for the NA header and start doing more homework…

All was not a waste in this venture,
The turbo will serve well as a mock-up unit,
The fmic tubing is all sized and ready to install
And the down pipe is welded and also ready to re-install