Post YOUR Coupe here
By SloCivic
#347866 Hey everyone, So long time user of this site and this is my first time sharing one of my 2 EG's. This was purchased about a year ago and since then it has been a little project of mine. I am going to upload a bunch of pics of the progress that has been made so far.

When I purchased this car is came from Miami or somewhere near the water here in FL because there was a ton of rust. I didn't really notice these issues until after purchasing. I bought it for $500 as a bare shell, two owners, MINT interior and a bad exterior. Such a pain to deal with. It was also in a minor crash and I had to replace the radiator support. This was going to be a quick simple swap & just enjoy a DD with AC and it turned into much more. Can't give up the addiction so I decided to share it.

Comments, both negative and positive are welcome.
Thanks!

Last edited by SloCivic on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Driv-it-hard
#347868 Great Interior.
Im in Florida as well. Let me know if you need parts as I go alot to the local junk yards hunting for things.

Check out my build as well . Also a daily driver
By SloCivic
#347869 Like I said previously, this car had to be by the beach at some point, the engine bay looked HORRIBLE.
First thing was a complete scrub/pressure wash.

At this point it looked better, but I figured since the engine was out that I should go ahead and consider painting the engine bay.
By SloCivic
#347871 Next on the to-do list was the radiator support replacement. The damage was not HORRIBLE, but if I wanted to paint it down the road and not have a crooked front end it needed to be done. I got my buddy to lend me a hand since this would be my first time doing one.

I do not have pictures of the removing process, but every hole you see was a spot weld that needed to be drilled out. It was actually a lot easier than I was anticipating.

As far as putting on the new one my buddy did the welding and I assisted. He did some tweaking of the front end using hammers and so on, cant look back now.

Pics of the new install below:

Bolted/welded up. I have a car port on the side of my house and we used this as a makeshift "paintbooth". More pics soon.
By SloCivic
#347872 Here are some pics of the prep/prime/paint process...
I was not satisfied with the engine bay even after scrubbing and cleaning it for hours. Once it dried it turned white and had a hazed look to it. My same friend who helped me with the radiator support is very good @ painting so he kinda sold me on re-doing the engine bay before putting the motor in. So here are pics of the process, like I said earlier I have a car port on the side of my house and we made it into a little paint booth. It took us all afternoon and we did not finish laying the last coat of paint until about 11 PM, it was worth it though.
The sanding, priming, re-sanding, painting process took FOREVER. Good learning experience though.
Here are some pics.

Unfortunately my camera died while laying down the paint. I decided to do a jet black with a ridiculous amount of gold flake. This is how the color turned out. 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear, if I remember correctly.

In the sun it really pops! It is going to be a paint in the ass to keep clean but it looks great. Now on to the engine stuff.
By SloCivic
#347873 In FL, we have a place in Orlando that sells engines for great prices & with mileage between 40-60k. (http://jdmflorida.com/)
I drove up there to pick up a b20 for the coupe. It was $535 out of the door and basically ready to drop in.
Of course I needed an obd1 engine harness, a ls manifold, post mount, shift linkage and other stuff. These are the pics I have of the process.

If you are not familiar the B20 is out of a Honda CRV, It comes with a "high rise" intake manifold. On a good note you can take a manifold from an ls motor and it swaps right on. Resulting in not having to cut your hood or anything extreme like that.

I forget to take pictures of everything but this motor took a while to get to the point that it is at now. This is my 3rd b-series motor build so I am pretty familiar with them but still learning everyday.

I just wanted this b20 to be reliable since I have my hatch as the "go-fast" car.

New:
spark plugs
wires
rotor
cap
timing belt
tensioner/spring
oem gaskets top to bottom

No cheap parts or corners cut. I took my time with this entire build.
Almost to the two year mark.

Anyways on to the pics.

After getting everything squared away at the shop I bought an LS transmission, oem exedy clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and bolted it all up before it gets dropped into the coupe.

I still was waiting for a couple parts (motor mounts, and other misc stuff) to arrive. Once everything was bolted up the engine was almost ready to drop in.
By SloCivic
#347874 Not a ton of new pics guys sorry, but the engine went in smoothly. I didn't scratch the fresh paint in the bay! On the coupe I decided to not go through with the "shaved & tuck route". It's a ton of work and I want this car to be easy to maintain. So everything is going to be bolted back up just as it was from the factory. Still have some loose ends to tie up before start-up but it's almost there!

Stay tuned.
Last edited by SloCivic on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SloCivic
Driv-it-hard wrote:Great Interior.
Im in Florida as well. Let me know if you need parts as I go alot to the local junk yards hunting for things.

Check out my build as well . Also a daily driver

Thanks man! I'll let you know, I'm near tampa and I can usually find what I am looking for, the honda/acura scene down here is pretty big.
By Driv-it-hard
#347881 Thanks Slo,
That means if I need something that I can't find, Im gonna hit you up .
I'll keep posting the work on mine.
By CopyLifted
#347893 Nice progress. Excellent build! Keep the pics and updates coming!
By SloCivic
CopyLifted wrote:Nice progress. Excellent build! Keep the pics and updates coming!

Thanks! Ya I'm going to upload some more progress today!

Got it turned over. Still working on working out some kinks...but its a good feeling :woot:
By SloCivic
#347902 Finally got it started today, still a lot of kinks to work out before its drivable but that's what the weekend is for 8)

I cant get the link to post but if you want to feel free to check my start-up video.

B20 START UP

:headbang:
By yoshi06
#347995 Looking good ben!!