Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#341160 Jdm d15b vtec with matching 5 speed lsd trans. I am gonna turbo this but don't know what I should make my hp goal when tuning it on stock internals. I have heard a range of differnt claims. Most say don't go past 200-210 on stock d series internals, but I've heard a few people claim the jdm d15b is a beast of sorts in the d series world and can safely boost up to 250hp on stock internals. Now I'm not trying to get over zealous and just go for it but if that's true what about my trans? Whats a jdm d series limited slip dif. trans rated for? I'm very new to this particular swap, I searched pages and pages under boosted and d series tabs to no avail.
By teal_dx
#341163 It's hard to put an exact HP # on the safe zone for a stock boosted D. It depends on a lot such as: Mileage of motor and condition (compression, oil consumption), fuel management and how well it is tuned, how you'll be driving it etc... the list goes on.

I say 180 WHP is a safe goal for your average D16/JDM D15B. Going up from there, all of the above can make a difference.

Safely boosting 250 WHP may be a possibility, but for how many miles will that be safe? I wouldn't want to find out on my only car/daily driver. A D trans in good shape (no grinds/bearing noises) is going to be able to take whatever power you put to it through a boosted motor with stock internals- assuming you're talking about normal street use. If you're building a drag car w/ slicks... different story.
By jefferydclark
#341169 DK Goodrich(ky tuner) has had the d15b lsd trans in the 400+ hp range and been down the track several times. as for the d15b, it has the same rods as the d16's with a different piston. id feel safe(with a tuner tuning your car) pushing it to 200-220whp reliably. mine was on 8psi with a basemap and lasted about a year before the oil pump gave out on it. it was driven VERY hard as well and pulled on some B18b turbo's around my t own :). I'm in to see what happens to this setup. boost is addicting so go ahead and count on building the engine. D series is pretty affordable to build.
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#341171 Thank you both for your response. The engine and trans came from one of those jdm warehouses with about 40-60,xxx miles. Its a very clean engine inside and out. I've tore it down to look for any weak spots, it looks like it is brand new. The build will be used mainly for dd and weekend track days until I get my second ej coupe for full dd in a few months.