Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By xhardlinerx
#324219 I recently found out that my old friend I knew since middle school works on Honda's (especially EG's).

He said he will only charge me $250 to rebuild a GSR tranny and install a aftermarket LSD. (Doesn't include removing or installing tranny back in)

My friend said he would install the turbo kit and rebuild the transmission for a total of $700. If I do go turbo on a civic, I know i will need a LSD transmission.

My calculations for the turbo set up is:
$2240 for turbo kit for A/C P/S (from goautoworks.com)
$495 OBX helical LSD
$350 Synchrotech transmission brass rebuild kit
$100 for gsr transmission (on craigslist needs to be rebuilt)
$460 Hondata
$400 Tuning
$700 Installation of turbo/tranny rebuild

So this equals $4745, but Im going to round this to $5,000 for other parts and tax. If you have any recommendations on parts please feel free to let me know ( or if you think the parts I'm choosing are crappy)

I keep wanting to go turbo, but then I have second thoughts about reliability and daily driving issues. I also am thinking about buying a 240sx that is already swapped with a SR20 for about $4500-$5000 and use the Civic for a daily driver. I think the 240sx handles better compared to my hatchback. I know this is a honda thread so the answers will be biased, I would like to hear your opinions.
By teal_dx
#324220 how many miles are on your motor? Is it losing any fluids? I'd do a compression test before putting a turbo on it, to be sure it is healthy.

Also, consider if your power goal would be better off with forged rods/pistons. At the minimum, add ARP headstuds to your parts list. :thumb:
By xhardlinerx
#324269 I think it has around 75,-80,000 miles because I got a extensive mileage report of the car since it was produced. The motor is from HMO, I dont have any leaks or problems with it.