Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By Miler245
#322180 Whatsup EG!

Been driving my 94 Coupe with GSR swap for a couple years now and I am ready to add to/modify my engine set up! My current aftermarket engine modifications include...

Skunk2 Type R IM
Vibrant 4-2-1 Header
Skunk2 Megapower Exhaust
JDMpassword CF Power Chamber Intake
P72 Chipped ECU (VTEC crossover @ 4900RPM)

I am interested in going the forced induction route however I honestly dont know that much about turbo set ups for the GSR, or any B-series motors for that matter. I have done some research and the bolt on roots style supercharger (such as the JRSC for B-series motors) seems to be a nice increase in HP and TQ across the powerband, however these gains are limited compared to the cusomization of a turbo kit.

I am having trouble finding a supercharger for the GSR (new or Used) and for some reason I am reluctant to turbo my DD (I have heard lots of turbo horror stories after all!) but I am itching to add some horses to my setup! So fellow EGers what are some suggestions!? Comments and advice welcome!
By HeikDiesel
#322194 The Jackson units are hard to find parts for. Moss motorsports makes most of the wear parts, but it still can be a pain sometimes. I wouldn't advise a supercharger to anyone unless you can run the LHT kit or E-85. My car makes great power for what it is. 200ft/lb of torque from 3k-7k on a fully stock b16. Just depends what you want to do. I could make a lot more peak HP/TQ with a turbo kit.

There are also options like Vortech and Procharger for Hondas as well
By Miler245
#322196 Thats the setup I was most interested in but it seems impossible these days due to JRSC being discontinued and lack of parts! I found on for sale for $1300-1500 but I"m always skeptical becaue these used kits never seem to have all the necessary parts... Could you possibly see from the attatched pics if anything major is missing?

By teal_dx
#322201 There is nothing unreliable about a turbo setup if you go with quality parts and don't skimp on fuel management and get professionally tuned. :thumb:

Looking at the mods you already have though... your header, CF intake and maybe exhaust will be useless when going turbo. (I'd go at least 2.5" w/ a straight through muffler on a turbo setup - 3" would be even better if you want to up the boost & make more power)
By Uknterror
teal_dx wrote:There is nothing unreliable about a turbo setup if you go with quality parts and don't skimp on fuel management and get professionally tuned. :thumb:

Looking at the mods you already have though... your header, CF intake and maybe exhaust will be useless when going turbo. (I'd go at least 2.5" w/ a straight through muffler on a turbo setup - 3" would be even better if you want to up the boost & make more power)

This!

Even still its better to know the history of the motor. Stock honda motors can handle boost very well depending on how it was treated. That being said it doesnt have to be treated as in an old person owned it, but as long as its properly maintained and not beat on too much you can have a decent turbo setup with no worries.

Little tip DONT CUT CORNERS
By 92CivicSquach
#331458 Ive worked on 2 or 3 Civic that were supercharged and it seems for the most part, they are dogs. I personally think its because it takes to much tq from a smaller displacement engine to turn them. Power/loss ratio is much lower then a turbo or even a nitrous build. I like superchargers a lot, especially since they seem to be so reliable. Just wish they could make more power on our engines....oh well.
By HeikDiesel
#331997 Takes too much tq to spin something that can be easily turned by hand? :eh:
By HeikDiesel
#332007 I'll agree with that to an extent, atleast on small displacement engines.
By bigpunn421
#335019 i dont agree with that.

the only reason people think turbo>supercharger in honda world is because your comparing a jrsc m45 or m62 to a new design turbo or a turbo that outflows the jrsc kits. or if $$$$ is a factor turbo is cheaper than a properly setup supercharger kit.

the jrsc old ass m62 doesnt flow, even if you cool the air it still cant make the cfm needed for good power.

i think turbos>supercharger is a myth. no real evidence to back it up other than mu turbo is better than your outdated m62. thats comparing apples to oranges.

if you have the same amount of cfm with a turbo and a supercharger which is better? one reduces exhaust flow and the other has a parasitic draw.

just because you choose a turbocharger doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice responsiveness, just like a supercharger doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice good whp.

i am a turbo guy too but i like superchargers. so dont count them out