Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By madhatchride
#316884 ok so i am currently in the proccess of turboing my ls swapped hatch and i was wondering what is my tunning options and how to go about them i dont wanna go all out and spend a lot on a dyno tune can i get a base map chip and run safely on say 5 to 8 lbs? stock internals
By HeikDiesel
#316890 Obviously you are going to get better results with a EMS that will allow a full tune on a dyno. The cheaper alternative would be to run a FMU and slightly bigger injectors. Basically what the FMU does is sense boost and apply more fuel pressure to the injectors. This supplies the engine with more fuel since the injector will still pulse for the same amount of time, but will have more rail pressure to inject more fuel.
By madhatchride
#316891 i beleive my car has a fmu on it and i think once upon a time that it had a turbo set up so if i have this i can basicly tune my car with what i have ? or do i need a ems ?
By 92CivicSquach
#331459 your FMU will basically just get you going....safely. You are going to want to get with someone to actually tune your car. Your not going to get the high numbers out of your car unless you do. Someone who tunes hondata or crome officiantly will be your best bet. don't get me wrong though, the FMU is a great thing to have already.

PS i would say your car has been turbo (or some other type of FI) because other wise, there would be no reason to have installed that on your car.
By madhatchride
#331468 i def think the car had been boosted before cause i had to put a motor in it when i bought it lol but now that story is gone and im on to the next :) good info though thnks
By HeikDiesel
#331479 FMU's are junk I would avoid them at all costs. Hondata and Neptune are so cheap I really don't see why you wouldn't just get the tune properly done
By teal_dx
#331483 Agree ^^^ I haven't seen anyone use a FMU in the last decade. It's old technology that has been replaced with properly chipping and tuning an ecu. You get more efficiency & reliability than you would with a FMU.