Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By Stam
#307850 hi there i have the d16z6 engine
my goal is to make 250hp
what size of a turbine i need?(im going to run a used one)
how much boost(in bar please) do i need ?
is it okay to buy vitaras pistons for this project?
my engine is going to be fully disasebled for this project so what kind of rods i must use?
thank you for your time
By teal_dx
#307865 I see you have not done much research... There's different ways you can go with this. You didn't mention a budget or if this needs to be a daily driver or track car. I'm doing a build similar to yours, link is in my sig :thumb:
By teal_dx
#309803 From your other thread:
hi guys i have a d16z6(late models)
for this engine im planning turbo
i want to make about 250-270 hp
i have some questions about some parts
what size of turbo i must buy?(can i use a oem used turbine?)
can i use vitara pistons?
for this goal i must use a blockquard?

A t3 turbo will meet your power goals and can be found in some OEM applications.
You can use vitara pistons and you do not need a blockguard.
However you must get the motor properly tuned using engine management software to ensure a reliable setup :thumb:
By Stam
#309804 i will go to a machine shop to get the engine prepared i will run vitaras pistons
and some eagle rods(cheeper than wiseco etc)
also for the 250-270 hp i will need some 440cc injectors right?
i see that in ebay are plenty...whats your opinio on that?
i will run a used oem turbine for this project
to keep the budget low
i believe that oem turbos have bolt on the wastegate is that right?
By teal_dx
#309825 Eagle rods are a great product. Dsm 440's will be good, you will need a resistor box to run them. Most oem turbos use an internal waste gate. It's easy to convert to manual by welding the flapper shut.
By Stam
#309832 hmmm...
alright
i will use a manual boost controler
do you know what size the exhaust should be?
again im askink to be preipared
i will go to a maschine shop to get the engine ready
and everything will be done by mechanic
By teal_dx
#309859 I would go no smaller than 2.5". When it comes to turbo, bigger will let the turbo breathe, spool. Anything bigger than 3" is probably going to be overkill for your setup. The $ could be better spent on tuning. :thumb:
By Stam
#309881 i beleive that 2,5 inch pipe is good untill 300 hp for this engine...
also the ecu can be tuned for boost or we need something else?
By Stam
#309882 but no i will not go bigger than a 3 inch
one quick question a t3/4 is bigger than a t3 and smaller than a t4?
i ask because i found them alot here in good price...
can i use it?
By bigpunn421
Stam wrote:but no i will not go bigger than a 3 inch
one quick question a t3/4 is bigger than a t3 and smaller than a t4?
i ask because i found them alot here in good price...
can i use it?

usually when someone posts t3/t4 they have no clue about turbos. there are so many variations of "t3/t4" turbos.

saying i have a t3/t4 or buy a t3/t4 is like saying i have a honda. theres a bunch of sub models ie s2000, civic, oddsey etc. yes they are all hondas but they are all different and have different pros/cons.

you need to find a flow chart or find out the trim of both turbines and the a/r size to see what turbo is best. you cant just say buy a t3t4.

for 250bhp you could get away with a td04 from a saab or volvo. maybe a gt25 from a eclipse? all of those can be cheap options.

i would look for something in its efficency range. you dont want a small turbo flowing more air than reccomended and you dont want a huge turbo for 250bhp.

research is key when choosing the "best turbo"
By Stam
#310050 the cast exhaust manifold that you used on your diy tutorial works fine ?(i mean its still uncracked??)
By Stam
#310062 wow! cast iron defeats crack! alright!!!
here i cant find a exhaust manifold and my mechanic says that it will be around 3-500 euro just for a custom manifold...
one quick question th d16 sohc with the b16 dohc cann apply the same exhaust manifold?
By bigpunn421
Stam wrote:wow! cast iron defeats crack! alright!!!
here i cant find a exhaust manifold and my mechanic says that it will be around 3-500 euro just for a custom manifold...
one quick question th d16 sohc with the b16 dohc cann apply the same exhaust manifold?

cast iron can still crack. it doesnt defeat it.

from my exp the d series has different exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds. they shouldnt interchange

you could make an adapter from your stock exhaust mani for a turbo if $$ is limited