Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By 95cpeEX
#306031 im looking at picking up a boosted hatch

http://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/2983518121.html

this is the ad for the car, and i just went and checked it out it cranked over two different times but then it just wouldn't. it sounds like it has a dead battery or a sticky starter.

but my real question is how much damaged can be caused by running a motor with out a waste gate for im assuming a couple months and rodding on it.

the block is a b18a or b cant remember has a vtec head and the wire harness seems to be a mess but i know its not all that hard to replace the wire harness with a new one.

the car is in decent condition body wise but i just dont wanna get my self too deep with out knowing more and not being able to fix it with out spending an ass load of money
By SkunkDcivic
#306063 It has a blown head gasket a bad iacv or fitv and it smells fishy and I wouldn't buy it if he ran it without a wastegate unless you wanna rebuild the motor
By d-mon
#306092 i can never understand why someone would buy a modded civic.
just one of life's mysteries, i guess...
By 95cpeEX
#306110 What happens to the motor if its ran with out the wastegate? And I wouldn't be buying it I was gonna trade my dc4 for it. Im going to school for mechanics.

And getting one pre modded is cheaper then building it and I don't plan to keep it all that long. Just gonna use it as a stepping stone to get something better
By SkunkDcivic
#306113 Doing it this way will actually blow your motor. ALL of your exhaust flow will be going out through the turbine and your boost level will be unlimited. Remember, a wastegate maintains the same boost level by diverting exhaust gasses around the turbine. It only lets enough exhaust gasses through the turbine to maintain your desired boost level.
By teal_dx
#306118 Running w/o a wastegate would not cause damage is if the tuning software has a boost cutoff, which shuts off the engine if the psi goes over a preset amount.

Either way, you shouldn't drive around w/o one, sounds like the guy didn't care much about this car.
By d-mon
#306133 sounds like a failed project.
i have helped a few local guys 'fix' modded cars they got for cheap, and they always spent more than if they did the project correctly.
i don't do that anymore
there's the problems he'll tell you about and the ones you'll discover while fixing the ones you know about.
i'm sure you've heard the phrase 'do it right the first time', its cheaper than 'do, undo, fix, then redo'.
Last edited by d-mon on Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By brandoff88
#306135 amen to that "fixing other peoples fuck ups thing" i thought i had a decent start, then i blew the motor...partly my fault, i ran that bitch into the ground, but then i started fixing stuff and realized how little this guy knew about the car, the one thing im thankful for, is he was smart enough to use the right ecu...thank god..