Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By 92dxeg
#296308 so guys i am getting anther gsr block to build i am going turbo what is a good set up for a daily driving like cp ratios, pistons sizes ect i would like to do 10 psi daily or more if possible any insite would help thanks
By TrailerTrash
#296313 may just be my opinion but i think a good DD setup is a stock GSR on 10psi with a good tune
By 92dxeg
#296332 well i have stock pistons and rods to go in but while its apart i was just going to get forged how long can stock pistons hold?
By teal_dx
#296339 Just stick with stock compression and you won't need oversized pistons unless you get the cylinders bored. You only need to get them bored if it's high mileage. Depending on the wear on the cylinder walls, you may want to get them honed while you have the block all apart. :thumb:
By 92dxeg
#296367 well it all ready all apart and its been honed out so that all check out shout i get forged but stock cp ratio and i thought u want to lower the cp ratio with boost i want to build this the right way while its apart then when the block is all done i have a fresh b16 head to throw on it :thumb:
By 92dxeg
#296424 well i will be using s300 cuz thats what i have now on my na gsr and my tunner pretty good he got 200 hp out of my gsr wit a stock b16 head but build block. so should i get forged pistons and rods and keep the cp ration the same ????
By teal_dx
92dxeg wrote: so should i get forged pistons and rods and keep the cp ration the same ????

Same as my answer above... It's really up to you. With a lower CP, you're going to notice a loss in power compared to if you has stock compression. Now when the turbo is spooling, that loss in CP won't be noticeable. But at lower RPM it will be. However, you'll be able to take more boost at high RPM.
It's really up to you and depends on the turbo size and how you plan on driving the car. ex. street driven or dyno queen.
Good choice on the S300. With a good tuner, You can go with either choice on the pistons :thumb:
By 92dxeg
#296442 ok cool i will keep it stock cp but i will get fordge internals just to make it that much better. the only reason i was asking is cuz i have all the stock shit if i wanted to throw back in it but since its apart might as well go forged pistons right? will it make a diff if i use the stock gsr pistons or forged with same ratio ?
By bigpunn421
#296474 sometimes you make less power with forged with same setups. the forged stuff usually weighs more. and you usually want the lightest rotating setup for power. but your right for most part. and nice quote up top

to me i would say the stock internals on a b18c are more than strong enough. people run 300whp reliable on stock b18c's turbo.

and 10psi from one turbo isnt same whp as 10psi in another turbo. the amount of air matters.

people can make 400whp on 10psi but usually most "10psi" ebay setups run 200whp-250 but it matters on which ebay turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhT6gJ-cyNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCvGmEXcNnA

both of those vids are "9psi" but look at power difference.

the gsr motor is a beast :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By 92dxeg
#296527 i understand what u guys are trying to put across now a iam new to boost set ups. i have been a na guy for some time and i just want to switch shit up up big and go for some bigger power. pretty much the point is this do u guys think i should forge internals while its apart ? i just want to do it the right way the fisrst time and the motor is going to get some abuse from time to time . i am thinking i should go wit it while is apart and with forge will a be able to hadle more boost?
By JUICE
#296556 ^yup

here's a good price on a 81mm (stock bore) combo.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Forged-Pistons-Eagle-Rods-GSR-B18C1-10-2-1-81mm-/390325611859?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae1382d53

that seller has 81.5 in that same compression if you get the motor bored
By bigpunn421
#296585 to me if i was on a budget which most of us are, you need to budget build the car.

so thinking like that i would rather have a nice turbo gt2871 disco, nice fuel setup and tuner. before i would buy forge internals. if my range was 4k

but everyones different. if having the internals built help you go with it. i just think that money could be better spent.

i hope you have a plan for fuel setup and tune. and expect to pay out $$$ for a nice build. unless you can make your own dp, exhaust mani or find a deal on used parts.
By 92dxeg
#296642 well i really only want to build the block cuz a have a compltely stock fresh b16 head to throw on it. i dont need to have the it up and running tommrow i plain on saving up for all the ligit stuff iam i am not cheaping out on fuel/tunne. does any1 have any good ideas for fuel set ups ?