Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By strigga
#165546 i'm driving a civic eg3 (d13 - 75hp) with d16z6 head and injection instead of the carburator. now it has 123hp.
in the next few months i want to build in my garrett t25

do you know where i can get piston rods for a d13 ?!
By strigga
#165558 i know i could take a d15 or d16 ... but thats the challenge. The maximum power out of a small motor.
The minime d13 is unique and this setup with a turbo is much more unique!

so my only opinion is to drive it with the stock pistons and not much manifold pressure -.- i think max. 7,5 psi (?)
By Classiccarsrule85
alldatJUICE wrote:the rods are probably extremely weak. i think you'd be wasting your time with it

X2 on that

i mean i dont think well i know here in the states they dont make any aftermarket rods for that 1.3l motor you may be better off possibly making a n/a motor because all i can see you being able to do safetly is switch out the piston heads port n polish the head, ummm maybe higher ignition spark form a msd set up or something maybe bigger injectors but yea with boost your looking at something that may easily pop a rod thru that block since boost adds alot more pressure than the possibility adding compression but either one may put too much stress on your motor the crank the rods should all be upgraded......

if there is that kind of support over where you are then by all means spend your money and do what you wish i think itd be pretty well different to see a 1.3 boosted but to be honest the only difference on teh outside i can see is the stamp in the block. so yea...i think youd be better off looking at something else
By strigga
#166496 hmm ... no motivating posts ;-)

but i'll try it - not later than the turbo setup kills the d13 -> i can put a d16 into it...

i think enhanced pistons of a d16 would fit, the only problem are the rods.
By JUICE
#166501 the rods are what makes it not worth putting all together and spending $$$ for a tune, just to tear it back down and do it again..

they're easy to come by (here at least) and it only makes sense. that little 13 was just never meant for performance. and definitely not boost :lol:
By strigga
#203389 everybody tells me the same
"forget the d13", "swap a d16 or b16" ...

but that was my decision to build it ;-)

d13b2
mpfi + vtec head
garrett t25 on 7psi

14,45 at 1/4 mile
i like it ;-)

no i'm looking for someone who can build piston rods for the d13 so i can turn up the boost ...
By AutoXCivic
#204235 To everyone telling him to just swap GTFO ... that wasn't the question.

To the OP kudos for doing something unorthodox. My suggestion ... get some new stock rods and have them shot peened and cryo treated. This will boost their strength quite a bit. Find some ARP rod bolts for extra insurance (if they even make them for those rods). Also consider investing in a spare 1.3 bottom end for mocking things up and seeing what fits, and that way you have a spare in case the current one explodes.

Another option which is way more expensive (and it looks like you are already exploring) is to get a stock rod (or at least all the pertinent dimensions) and contact crower, or eagle, or some other company that builds rods and have them make you a custom set (I would get more than one, just in case).

Still another option is to look and see if there are any rods made by another manufacturer that happen to match the specs of the D13 rods (then maybe see if there is a forged version). Look into using motorcycle rods for example.

You are breaking new ground and the sky is the limit. Vitara pistons are still a fairly new thing, and I guess some Supra pistons work in a few honda engines as well. It wasn't all that long ago that an ls/vtec build was really uncommon and people had to get creative to make it work, there weren't kits to make everything easy. You have chosen a new path, and I wish you the best of luck. Remember research is your best friend. Go forth and show these haters that it can be done.
By strigga
#204280 Yes, i know it's a hard way because there are no parts for the d13 =( and yes, it's a low budget project too, so i can't spend 1000€ for custom rods...

thank you for your suggestions, at the moment it runs good, so i won't do any experiments ;-) but i'll do much research to find a good base.

thank you
By AutoXCivic
#204975 Consider finding a spare bottom end so you can do some test fitting of components that you think might work. I'm not sure what the market/junkyard scene is like over there, but I know that you can often find d series motors for next to nothing here ... everyone does a b swap and ditches their d.
By strigga
#230567 the boosted d13 still runs!

13,6 @ 1/4 mile in kiskunlachaza (HU)
By d13breeze
#332452 hey strigga, i have a d13b2 also and I saw that you converted yours to vtec, would you mind telling me what was involved in that and if you had to modified the head gasket or head in any way?

thanks for your time :thumb:
By strigga
#333249 bought some parts and now the d13 got an update:

ARP head studs
crower rods
custom turbo header
Garrett T28
RC 750cc injectors
bisimoto valve springs
new cam gear
s40 gear box
2.5" magnaflow exhaust