Post YOUR Hatchback here
By turboman86
#109700 Here we go... I will start and update as i go... answering questions along the way, if anyone has any views/opinions i will gladly answer them... i also accept any HELPFUL critisism :D

Well... were do i start.. we start with a standard 1.6 1994 Civic Esi.. Which has the standard D16Z6 engine with 123hp when it left the factory many many moons ago.

Then this happened...

It got modded... this was over a few years of trial and error... it has been in some states which we wont go over

Anyways... at this point... ya know.. u grow attached to your honda dont u? I thought it was fast but it just wernt doin it for me anymore.... so i researched and found something amazinng! I found that people in america turbo the same car as mine and i was outstanded with the results they were getting! it was a big decision... coz shit... i dint have much money! but as soon as i started buying parts off ebay... i couldnt stop... the addiction grew.... u know wot its like i know u do... heres a few of the parts i bought...

T3 Turbo

RC 440cc Injectors

ARP Head Studs

OBX Cam Gear

Oil Catch Can

Wastegate

Cast Log Turbo manifold

Crower ST2 Turbo Cams

Intercooler

Dump Valve

Stainless Downpipe (Needed serious adjustment)

Nice Shiny Polished Charge Pipes

Oil Lines

So... obviously thats not allll the parts.... on top of that.... if your thinking of turbo'ing yourself.... you will need...

Walbro 255 fuel Pump
All the obvious fittings... couplers, clamps, oil drain hose, vacuum lines, boost controller, oil guage and boost guage as minimum, full exhaust, air filter, crome basemap chip

So... i collaited all my stuff and after just 3 days of hard work with little hickups along the way i finished! and it worked! even to my own amazement becasue i wasnt too sure about it.... if your doing this yourself... the hickups were...

the block needed to be grinded becasue the turbo didnt fit properly.
The downpipe had to be cut and re-welded.
The charge pipes had to be re-ruited around the downpipe.

Overall i think that is'nt to bad for a first attempt!

And it worked!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fpCp6PcQe54 << video here

And then disaster happened... I ran it on santa pod... i knew something was'nt right.. but i was abit nieve then.... on the way down to pod it loved the motorway... and on the track it had an explosive start and then slowed as it got past 60mph... so i got it dyno'd there at the track and it showed it was running way to lean past 5000rpm. So i got it booked in for tuning but had to wait a couple of weeks... and one hot day i stupidly take it out on the motorway with hardly any coolant and melt the pistons!

and score the cylinder walls

So.... i honed the bores and fitted these... with little experience of engine building... none in fact.

Eagle rods 8.5:1 vitara pistons, nippon rings, acl bearings.... did a half decent job of it becasue i was very eager to get it back... i built it in all weathers... mainly in the rain!

Note: When your putting new rods in a D16 you have to notch the block and main cap bridge! The bigger rods need clearance!

After i got it all back together.. i was not happy with it... head gasket was leaking and bottom end was knocking. So something had to be done and i was not giving up! no way was i! So ive blagged my university and turned this into my project. Ive bought an engine and stripped it... u can see where im up to with it here..

I know its mucky... but its been through the parafin bath now!

... slightly cleaner

after alot of hard work and cleaning.... very clean engine!!!

Started clean build :)

Deglazed the bores for the new rings.
Eagle rods and ycp vitaras in with acl race bearings and nippon rings.

ARP 2000 7/16 conrod bolts tightened to 43lbsft, 59Nm

Nicely cleaned up intake manifold. Dismantled and clean all inside, new gaskets and give it a spray

By turboman86
#109701 Progress...

fidanza lightweight flywheel

Sump on...

By coady
#109703 awesome job, what are you expecting it to make?
Last edited by coady on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By turboman86
#109704 cleaned up the head and sprayed with high temp paint... i chose the traditional red wrinkle paint for the valve cover :)

Head on with ARP head studs torqued to 65lbs ft or 88Nm

Checked cam timing.
Valve cover on

Im quite happy so far :D
By turboman86
#109707 Head on with ARP head studs torqued to 65lbs ft or 88Nm

Checked cam timing.
Valve cover on

Im quite happy so far :D

The engine is getting put on the dyno very soon :D

Its gunna be craaaazzy hahahaaahaa

On the dyno... just gunna run it without the turbo first... needs wiring up yet though

Bought some new bits...

ACT 6 puck clutch
650cc RC injectors
Japspeed decat
NRG engine damper... what dont fit! second damper ive bought! It will get sorted

Comments please eg fanantics...
By drago742gtr
#109711 looks great i hope it works out for you
By turboman86
#109732 Thanks Teal :thumb:

Been workin on that engine since october! but its not been a constant thing..

Looking for 300+ hp... im not sure what im gunna be boosting it to... any tips? I kinda wanna go stupid with it but on the other hand i want it reliable :)
By tigerafro
#109742 what kind and where did you get your headlights?
By turboman86
tigerafro wrote:what kind and where did you get your headlights?

Im selling them at the moment... going back to oem with amber corners... gunna be toning down the whole thing before the engine goes back in
By Punksz6
#109756 Welcome and Very nice ride!! :woot:
By JUICE
turboman86 wrote:Thanks Teal :thumb:

Been workin on that engine since october! but its not been a constant thing..

Looking for 300+ hp... im not sure what im gunna be boosting it to... any tips? I kinda wanna go stupid with it but on the other hand i want it reliable :)

nice. are you wantin to DD this car?? if not get stupid with it!!