General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By SuperTuner12010
#87370 Alright well my friend is leaving me his car for a weekend while he is out of town, and he wants me to look over his car and fix a few things.

Well one of the main problems is the transmission, if you put it in drive, and go, you have to give it gas, and then let off for the transmission to change gears. Or you can just manualuy shift it, but I know thats not good for the tranny. I havent had much experience with autos, but im thinking the shift solenoids, what do you guys think?

Thanks Alot
By ej2rey
#87394 The way auto trannys work is there's a torque converter and the torque converter has fins inside, fluid is filled and when the torque converter spins grabs fluid. The faster it goes the more fluid it grabs and more preasure is applied to shift the gears.

You might want to flush the tranny. When you flush check in the fluid and make sure you don't see any big noticeable pieces of metal. That would mean that the fins
On the torque converter are bent or breaking so it won't grab fluid efficiently so you will have to replace the torque converter.

If you do not find any big noticeable pieces of metal in the fluid then just flush the tranny and add new fluid. The fluid was probably too old already and too thin so it wasn't doing its job.

Depending on what car it is you have to make sure you put the right amount of fluid.
You can ask the auto part store when you buy the fluid.