General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By biretsu89
#76119 My d16z6 transmission is making a weird noise... when I shift there is no grind.... but my transmission in 1st and 3rd gear sounds like it has straight cut gears O.o.... I have no clue what the problem is.... I put 2 bottles of Royal purple synco gear oil.... I dont know what the problem is... Its not really a grind noise.... its more like you can hear the gears moving... like i said... sounds like the gears are straight cut gears.. :lol: ... anythoughts???
By sdots
#76159 ^^ what he said. Try some honda MTF. I use 10w40 mobil in my tranny, runs perfectly.
By biretsu89
#76178 Honda mtf? Hmmm..... sounds good then... I'll grab some when I can and see if that helps out.

By sdots
teal_dx wrote:unfortunately the dealer sells MTF for $9/qt. :thumbdown:
better than spending half and getting a set of mashed up gears, would you not agree? :D
By biretsu89
#76217 ... dude thats cheaper for me haha... freakin the purple was like 11 bucks :x
By teal_dx
sdots wrote:
better than spending half and getting a set of mashed up gears, would you not agree? :D

completely, especially if you have a buddy who works at a dealership :wink:
By biretsu89
#76255 Not a honda dealership... but an acura dealership :thumb: .... I asked him if it was possible for a k20 to be bought cheap... but nothing... :lol:
By VegasCivic
#76278 NEVER :x use synthetic in your tranny! 10-30, Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh. :thumb:
By marvinp8700
#76282 Synchromesh all the way :woot:
By sdots
teal_dx wrote:
sdots wrote:

completely, especially if you have a buddy who works at a dealership :wink:

haha even better. it's not too bad in the u.k so all is good.
By biretsu89
#76574 Alright.. I have not yet swaped out the fluid... BUUUTT... would switching out the fluid from royal purple syncro to honda mtf do a big diff? Also... I just noticed when my civic is at idle at the red light in nuetral... i hear a weird bearing like noise.... When I drive off... the weird gear noise resembles that noise... ?? Any ideas? When I press the clutch in... the bearing noise goes away.....
By Faded_Milano
#76578 I've had synthetic 5W-30 in my tranny since may and I've had no problems yet.
By VegasCivic
#76582 fluid will make a difference.

biretsu89 wrote: When I drive off... the weird gear noise resembles that noise... ?? Any ideas? When I press the clutch in... the bearing noise goes away.....

That noise is most likely the input shaft bearing. VERY common problem on our cars.