General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By DeW HoE
#55560 hey all,

ever since ive bought the ej2, the trannys been grinding at 3rd...all teh otehr gears are fine....theres also occasional grinding at 5th but it rarely happens if i jus slam it in 5th....ive found a way without grinding, which is shifting in the lower rpms....might take a while to accelerate but its better than to grind the balls off of the tranny....i changed the original fluid which i have no clue what it was with Pennzoil's Synchromesh...no grinding anymore, i was basically driving crazy thru the rpm band testing out if 3rd gear is still grinding...but still no grinding yay!!!!

it was fine when i drove it home, but after 6 hours parked, and driving off again.....the grinding came back! does temperature affect the grinding possibilities?....it was grinding left and right no matter which rpm point i shifted....help!!! sad.gif
By teal_dx
#55610 Metal parts expand as they get warmer, so temperature could have something to do with it. It sounds like your synchros may need replaced, or if your luck is like mine your synchros will be on but the actual gears themselves will need replaced.

You can try double clutching and see if that prevents the grinding, but plan on tearing the tranny apart in the near future.
By DeW HoE
teal_dx wrote:Metal parts expand as they get warmer, so temperature could have something to do with it. It sounds like your synchros may need replaced, or if your luck is like mine your synchros will be on but the actual gears themselves will need replaced.

You can try double clutching and see if that prevents the grinding, but plan on tearing the tranny apart in the near future.

thanks for teh advice.....after testing out the warming up theory, there isnt any grinding as long as i dont be too erractic (below 3k+) while shifting to 3rd...guess ill be fine for the mean time.....

as for rebuilding, im better off getting a gsr tranny....hoepfully if im in luck, i can sport a y1 lsd tranny :?