General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By KidKRYLON
#349412 So I've googled around because I just had this happen to me last night and none of what I have found is like mine. The CV joint popped out last night on my way home from work. It doesn't appear to be too short. I did notice my clutch fluid was low and motor mounts worn and cracking. Could this have caused it? If it did what kind of damage should I expect?
By teal_dx
#349418 I've had them pop out while swapping suspension but never while driving. Are you really low? Maybe the angle was too much and the cv joint gave up? As far as damage, you'll probably be able to tell when you pull the boot off.
By TrailerTrash
#349422 ive had my car so low the axles were rubbing and they still didnt pop out.

i just cant imagine how this would happen unless something was not in its place :?
By KidKRYLON
#349431 It's still under 500 miles on the build but yes I am quite low (doesn't clear a soda can) on non height adjustable coilovers. I guess I just need sone confidence in going into this that I shouldn't have hurt much. Z6 trannys are a dime a dozen but the lsd, clutch, and lightweight flywheel not so much.
By brandoff88
#349432 i had an issue getting my drivers side in, I couldn't get the little clip to pop in when I was putting it in and it kept falling out when I was trying to put it all back together, I personally just grab the end that goes into the tranny and have someone hold the other end mostly straight, have them push in and you can wiggle it until you hear the click, its fairly audible so you should be able to here it, and then grab the end of the axle in the tranny, not the skinny shaft part and try to pull it out, it should be good when you pull on it hard and it stays in
By KidKRYLON
#349451 CV axle sheared in the trans. Luckily I have an LSD so it was just a matter of punching the broken bit out. Car drives miles better now, no more lurching and such. Sadly this endeavor cost me 80 bucks but oh well it's done now and I have piece of mind.
By TrailerTrash
#349462 glad to hear you got it fixed up :thumb: