General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By jadeydrag0117
#336151 so now in this point of "automotive learning" im looking into the engine repair and building. So im just new to whats in the engine bay, i know basics like oil change and coolant change.

i have a auto EG and was planning on doing a b16 swap but i am convinced/realizing/have reason to believe there is no point of having an automatic b16 ! :? :(

so i came up with some options which invlove auto-manual conversion since im too attached to my EG to sell her.
i hope some of you guys with more experienced could take a look at and give me some opinions/adivce
was also wondering which would be a smarter / financially efficient plan.

first thing that i have in mind and considering is
since i know when doing a auto-manual swap you need to buy things such as a manual tranny computer (ECU) and new transmission "hardware"/ components for specific engines , anyways...

first option :
do a b16 automatic swap then convert to manual??
since i can afford it and i know someone who can
basically wasting money on auto stuff

second option :
or just do the whole thing at the same time??
the issue with this is i might not have enough money
this one seems like a ton of work for me

third option :
do a manual swap on my d15 then get a b16?
to make sure i have to money, to drop in the new motor.

but for this third option wudnt i be wasting money on the flywheel and other tranny components / ECU ?

fourth sad option :
really sucks being auto maybe i will have to just settle for a auto b16 then get a gearbox and new exhaust system and tune i heard / read researches on getting more power out of auto and it involves upgrading those.

i really am not looking for POWER or the faster performance im only considering getting a manual because i wanted a new motor which i set out for a b16 but dont want to be WASTING money not getting any real power / a WORTHLESS result out of it,

i guess d15 auto to b16 auto is still a change in HP and torque but maybe not enough.... :? ?? IDK!!

thanks
By teal_dx
#336155 Unless you enjoy swapping Trannys, I would keep saving up and do the whole swap at once - manual and b16. It will be worth it. Unless your current setup is about to die...
By TrailerTrash
#336159 if you are super set on a new motor but arent super worried about it being a rocket ship then get a D16Z6 or a D15B and drop it in at the same time you swap it to manual. youd be saving money over a B16 swap.

you can get an imported JDM D15B with low miles and a warranty for about $1200 shipped to your door. and its a complete swap it right in swap in most cases handfull of parts and youll have a very entertaining car
By jadeydrag0117
TrailerTrash wrote:if you are super set on a new motor but arent super worried about it being a rocket ship then get a D16Z6 or a D15B and drop it in at the same time you swap it to manual. youd be saving money over a B16 swap.

you can get an imported JDM D15B with low miles and a warranty for about $1200 shipped to your door. and its a complete swap it right in swap in most cases handfull of parts and youll have a very entertaining car

i mean i have the money for a complete b16 sir first gen off hmotorsonline

right now im thinking it would be alot easier to buy the complete for 2100 and then use the money that i was going to pay a mechanic to do the swap to buy the manual conversion stuff and do it with a friend....but i def wont have time for that since school just started for me...
Last edited by jadeydrag0117 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jadeydrag0117
teal_dx wrote:Unless you enjoy swapping Trannys, I would keep saving up and do the whole swap at once - manual and b16. It will be worth it. Unless your current setup is about to die...

my d15 runs strong but id like more a little more power, i know i said in this thread "im not looking for power" what i meant by that was i dont want need the 10 sec car and im not looking into this to smoke all competition so to speak.

just want upgrades for my babaay ! :lol:

as for doing tranny swap i never did it before .............. but u have to start somewhere right?

i def wont have time till next summer since my school year just started.
By TrailerTrash
#336164 A single jingle VTEC is a little more power :lol:
By jadeydrag0117
TrailerTrash wrote:A single jingle VTEC is a little more power :lol:

SOHC more power??!

really? boosted sohc maybe but idk much about engines im just getting into it.
By TrailerTrash
#336167 im bettin you have a d15b7.

compared to a d15b/d16z6 your looking at roughly 30hp increase
By jadeydrag0117
TrailerTrash wrote:im bettin you have a d15b7.

compared to a d15b/d16z6 your looking at roughly 30hp increase

yeah b7 non V , well ur also lookin at other aspects besides the HP right? second u get Vtec.
By TrailerTrash
#336185 I guess if that is what is important to you then sure. VTEC, easier to swap, cheaperto buy, cheaper parts, and still quite fun.
By bks84
#337904 Personally Id do the manual swap first, so I could iron any bugs it has after its complete. Unless youve done one (or a few) there will problems. Then once the manual swap is done, order your B16 or whatever complete change over you want and swap that it.

Might save yourself some trouble.

It also might be easier to sell a complete D change over w/manual trans than selling an auto change over. At least in my market it is.