General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Leppy
#321204 I got a new set of issues with my clutch and/or transmission. When I start it up out of gear I hear what sounds like a bearing noise. Pushing in the clutch doesn't make it go away until I push the shifter into gear. The noise quiets at the point where the shifter meets resistance before it's fully into gear. Pulling it out of gear at idle and releasing the clutch makes the noise return. Also tonight, I noticed it's hesitating, like it wants to die with the clutch pushed in an in first gear at idle until I give it some gas. Last note, first is kinda hard to get into.

Specs: B18C, S/Y80 LSD. What could it be? I'm thinking the pilot or throw-out is worn. If I get in there, i'm gonna replace the entire assembly, but I wanna make sure it's part of that and not the transmission itself. It drives fine under load and engages perfectly under 6k RPM. I've still got the hesitation/grind going into gear at higher then 6k, though. Fluid is new.
Last edited by Leppy on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By teal_dx
#321205 `Throwout bearing would get louder/quieter when you press the clutch pedal. It is not related to the transmission going into gear, so that is not the problem. The pilot bearing is also outside of the transmission, which would not be affected by going into gear. I think your problems are internal, although I don't know exactly what to suggest.
By Leppy
#321207 Main shaft bearing? It's a pretty loud roar.
By teal_dx
#321209 Possibly if it sounds like a roar. You said it is fine while driving under a load... does it make noise while driving?
Also did this just start out of the blue, or get gradually worse over time to the point it is now?
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:Possibly if it sounds like a roar. You said it is fine while driving under a load... does it make noise while driving?
Also did this just start out of the blue, or get gradually worse over time to the point it is now?

I'm pretty sure it was gradual, because I just recently started to pay attention to it and it seems to be getting louder. I think I can hear it while driving, but I have no sound deadening and a high flowing exhaust so it's hard to tell. There's no abnormal vibration though.
By Leppy
#324441 Ok, I'm still having issues with the transmission. It still has the loud bearing noise when idle out of gear. It's occasionally near impossible for me to get it into first and second gear from a stop. I have to force it hard, but it wont grind, just wont go in. Also sometimes when i put it into first or second gear and coming to a stop with the clutch fully depressed, it'll want to die (and has a couple times). Other times, it gives more resistance going into any gear but will go without grind.

This is a daily driver. At this point, I just need to know if it's the clutch assembly I need to replace, If I need to rebuild it, or if I need a new tranny.
By teal_dx
#324442 Sounds like clutch may not be fully be disengaging/disengaging - probably a separate issue from the other noise. Have you checked the fluid level? And leaks at the master or slave cyl? (leaks on the master cyl can happen in the inside of the firewall, up behind the dash. Leaks on the slave cyl usually happen behind the rubber boot.)
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:Sounds like clutch may not be fully be disengaging/disengaging - probably a separate issue from the other noise. Have you checked the fluid level? And leaks at the master or slave cyl? (leaks on the master cyl can happen in the inside of the firewall, up behind the dash. Leaks on the slave cyl usually happen behind the rubber boot.)

Nothing is leaking as far as I've looked. I've never had to top off clutch fluid in the past year or so, the level has stayed pretty much the same. My dad suspects the throwout bearing is making the noise.

Honestly I'm probably going to order a new clutch kit anyway (looking at an Option Racing kit currently) since I don't remember if he ordered the clutch off of Ebay like all the other crap parts i've had to replace before when we did the swap or if it's OEM.
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:Usually when in neutral with the engine running, pushing in the clutch will change the sound of a bad throwout bearing, making it quieter.

That's exactly what it does. Push in the clutch, the sound winds down to get quiet. Release the clutch, it comes back. Dad and I checked the master and slave and they are perfect. I'm just going to order the clutch pack and do it during Mardi Gras break.
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:Along with the throwout bearing (aka release bearing), don't forget to replace the pilot bearing (at center of the flywheel) :thumb:

Of course. I'm replacing the whole thing and checking the flywheel. That's the easy part! It was just the diagnosis that troubled me, since I'm used to the plate wearing out before the bearing, so it was a strange feeling I couldn't diagnose.
By Leppy
Leppy wrote: [...] I noticed it's hesitating, like it wants to die with the clutch pushed in an in first gear at idle until I give it some gas. Last note, first is kinda hard to get into.

Bumping my own thread because of a related issue. The above issue I just quoted is starting again. Not all the time, but more frequently than i'm getting comfortable with.

Updated information is after the last post, I put a full CC stage 2 street clutch kit.

All the noises, etc, went away after replacing the clutch, since it had broken springs.

I'm wondering if this is a synchro issue maybe?