General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By dawg316
#295889 doing a 5 speed swap and on the hunt for a tranny. got the linkage and stuff from an eg. ( no mounts yet, do i need a rear manual mount ??? )

and i got offerd a sick deal on a y8 trans. will it work on my setup. i know it will bolt up fine but what about mounts, and shift linkage length ?

also what rear mount setup should i run if im going from auto to manual. a full manual bracket and mount or can i just keep my same one?
By teal_dx
#295903 All 92-00 D series manual trannys are interchangeable. The EK manual trannys actually came with steel shift forks too :thumb:

You don't need any of the mounts/brackets from the EK.
All you need is the rear from a manual EG and a conversion mount for the passenger side and the lower torque mount for the front of the trans.
It's been a while since I converted an EG but I think I remember the rear brackets being the same for auto & manual.

Shift linkage from any 92-00 civic will work (except Del Sol or 99-00 Si)

Don't forget the manual starter and 2 starter bolts. (one bolt is longer than auto)

I've been meaning to do a DIY on this...
By dawg316
#295916 thanks teal, in the porcess of doing a manual to 5 speed. so i will try to do a write up for it aswell. so i dont need a mount for the rear. if i just use my existing one? got a new top conversion mount ordered. its an innovative mount.

also the guy who sold me the parts says the front torque mount isnt needed. the EF's never used them. gonna try running it and see how it feels withougt one in it. worth a shot or not recomended ?
By teal_dx
#295919 You will need an EG manual mount for the rear. But the metal brackets between the mount and the tranny might be the same if I recall correctly.
I filled my OEM mounts with urethane and removed the lower torque mounts and it was alright but I felt the engine vibrations inside the car.
By dawg316
#295922 Civic automatic Image

bracket # 11. 50827-SR3-010 BRACKET, RR. ENGINE MOUNTING

mount # 7. 50810-SR3-983 INSULATOR, RR. ENGINE MOUNTINGRUBBER (AT)

Civic manual Image

bracket # 10. 50827-SR3-010 BRACKET, RR. ENGINE MOUNTING

mount# 7. 50810-SR3-030 RUBBER, RR. ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR (MT)

looks like bracket same. mount diffrent. so get a new rubber mount ?
By TrailerTrash
#295973 i drove 30,000 miles on stock mounts with no torque arms. there was a little engine movement but the mounts were also worn out.

if your getting the conversion mount from innovative you might aswell get the other 2. i have innovatives and they are amazing quality for the price
By dawg316
#296170 hopefully get a torque mount on my new trans. if not no biggie. btw any one have any tips on how to inspect a tranny to see if its in good condtion or not ? was just gonna check for leaks at the main shaft. give it a spin and also manual run it through the gears and check for issues ?
By TrailerTrash
#296212 take it from someone who got semiscrewed on a used tranny last year... check ALL the bolt hole threads. i got a used EX tranny in a trade and at least half the threads were stripped. main problem was stripped mount holes. i just gave it a quick look spun it and put it in my trunk. ill never do that again. also the case is slightly cracked at the bottom from probably hitting a nasty bump or jumping some railroad tracks in front of a train or whatever.

on a slightly related note, I know 92-00 D series trannys are interchangeable, but what about the clutch/flywheel setups? would a used clutch/pp/flywheel from an EG work with an EK?
By teal_dx
would a used clutch/pp/flywheel from an EG work with an EK?

Yes EG & EK clutch, pressure plate & flywheel are interchangeable. EF's came with a slightly smaller clutch / pressure plate/ flywheel diameter but I think you can also upgrade those to the 92-00 setup if you use all the components (clutch/ flywheel, pressure plate)
By TrailerTrash
teal_dx wrote:
would a used clutch/pp/flywheel from an EG work with an EK?

Yes EG & EK clutch, pressure plate & flywheel are interchangeable. EF's came with a slightly smaller clutch / pressure plate/ flywheel diameter but I think you can also upgrade those to the 92-00 setup if you use all the components (clutch/ flywheel, pressure plate)

awesome! i might be buying an 2 door ex ek with a blown clutch for 1200 and I have 2 eg clutch setups laying on my shelf:thumb:
By dawg316
#296730 just picked up my ek tranny. degreased the inside of it a lil. was carefull not to get any degreaser on the shaft tho. kinda a noob question but whats this hole here. circled in red. do i need to cap it or sumthin ?

also the trans didnt come with a lower inspection cover. safe to run it withouhgt it ?

*edit*

better pic

bottom right. big circular hole
By teal_dx
#296738 it looks like you circled one of the bolt holes where it bolts to the block.
Also, get the inspection cover. It helps protect the clutch/flywheel from the elements. :thumb: They're probably pretty cheap used.
By dawg316
#296745 not the bolt hole teal. under it. check the 2nd pic. more like the 2" cirularhole