General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By kingjmack
#262449 Well, I learned the hard way about "Good" craigslist deals. I bought a ls trans off of CL a while back. I decided I was going to get it out and clean it up because it looked like both cv boots had busted and grease was everywhere, SO, I had it on the ground, looking where the axles would go in thinking "How can I plug those up?" when I noticed some chunks of metal. I don't know where it came frome, but I'm assuming the trans is bad. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......................

Is there anything salvageable of this thing? I'm thinking maybe the speed sensor & reverse switch, but is there anything else you guys would take off? Maybe bust it apart and get the gears?

Thoughts? Opinions?
By 94EJ2
#262460 id say pop it open and see if you can figure out where the chunks are from i dont see anything they would have come from

never assume always investigate
By kingjmack
#262507 Sounds like a good idea. I've always wanted to tear into a trans.
By chrono404
94EJ2 wrote:id say pop it open and see if you can figure out where the chunks are from i dont see anything they would have come from

never assume always investigate

x2 we have a DIY about opening these guys up. teal also has quite a few high quality pics of gear clusters so you can see where stuff is missing from.
By teal_dx
#262542 Yeah I put a couple DIY's in the list but they are D tranny's - not sure how different a B is. If nothing else, definitely tear it apart for fun & learning purposes. New replacement gearsets are available from honda and they are expensive as hell. If you need to replace more than one or two gear sets, it would be the same to buy another used tranny. Just spend the extra for one that is good :thumb:
By kingjmack
#263247 Well, I tore into the LS trans tonight. There was enough aluminum shavings and chips that came out that I would NOT re-use this tranny. Here are some pics:

Notice anything wrong? Pilot shaft bearing missing a few things.

Not sure what you would call this part, but there was a good amount of chips/shavings and goo on this magnet.

I hope you can see this in the pics, but the webbing on the case is (has been) broken off.

scratches and gouges on the inside of the case

At least the final drive gear is still good incase I ever get a gsr trans

The trans was taken apart with the help of the DIY's on this site.
By chrono404
#263255 That tranny was bad. Look at the main input shaft bearing. its missing quite a few ball bearings. :shock:

Atleast you got a few good parts out of it. Hang onto its 5th gear as well. :thumb:
By forcefedEG
#263298 That's a gsr trans, ls trans never had taper bearings :eh:

The only two trans that use taper bearings was a gsr or itr. And yours is non LSD, that = gsr

Honda factory grinds the places in the case where you said it.was broke to clear a stock LSD, I can't tell if yours looks stock or not by the pics, I will say its a not a clean job they do of "grinding" the case from factory but its hard to.tell because of how dirty it is.
By kingjmack
#263300 Very interesting............... So if the gears are in decent shape, should I save them and maybe put them in another case? I guess I just assumed it was an LS trans because that's what I was told and it didn't have a sticker on it.
By forcefedEG
#263311 Id defiantly save them, clean them and inspect.them, as long as they weren't ran low or out of oil they should be ok.

The big.thing is to clean the oil galleys in the shafts as they are more than likely completely clogged. You will have to remove all the gears from the shafts to do this
By kingjmack
forcefedEG wrote:Honda factory grinds the places in the case where you said it.was broke to clear a stock LSD, I can't tell if yours looks stock or not by the pics, I will say its a not a clean job they do of "grinding" the case from factory but its hard to.tell because of how dirty it is.

I Cleaned the case and have some more pics of the webbing that appears broken.
By forcefedEG
#263469 It's still hard for me to tell, I've only seen one or 2 oem lsd cases. :? The one pic looks broke the other kinda looked how mine did.
By Ajax1989
forcefedEG wrote:It's still hard for me to tell, I've only seen one or 2 oem lsd cases. :? The one pic looks broke the other kinda looked how mine did.

its was prob hacked by some douche tryen to put lsd him self
instead of doing it correct..

but it looks broke to me.. i see these cases all day
ill try to see if i can see a lsd one tomorrow

and yes its a gsr trans.. the final drive has the taper bearings