General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By teal_dx
#13774 I have a brand new XTD 6 puck & 8 lb flywheel installed. Also I replaced the Throw out / Release Bearing with the new one that came with the clutch kit. I replaced the shaft/flywheel bearing too.

About 2 weeks ago, I niticed a very light squeak that sounded like a cricket always chirping. It was happening about 50% of the time when the clutch pedal was not pressed.
Fwd to now, the constant cricket chirping has gotten louder and happenes all the time. But if I press the clutch pedal in just a little, it stops. I only have to push it in to the point right before it starts to have any resistance to make the squeaking stop. The squeaking is coming from inside my tranny and it literally sounds like there is a big cricket in my tranny. A few days ago I checked my clutch fluid and it was a little low in the fluid tank, but not low enough to cause any driving issues. Everything works fine.

I thought Throw Out / Release bearings made more of a knocking sound when they needed replaced. This sound is just anoying, and it's constant unless I push the clutch in just a tad or more. The noise also increases with RPM, like the cricket chirps faster the faster I drive untill it just becomes a constant squeak.

I really don't feel like pulling my tranny out to check the bearing... do you all think that's what it is?
By -EJ1- COUPE
#13779 from what ive heard it doesnt sound like chirping it is a way different noise. pressure plate maybe? :? somethin is gettin hung up and causing the friction to make a noise
By ohDirka
#13782 my buddy had this same problem with his mustang and he even had the clutch replaced and it still made the sound, and i noticed that my crx is starting to do this aswell...i hope someone knows the cure
By teal_dx
#14599 I think I have found the problem... Slave cylinder

There is a very slow leak coming from the place where the aarow points to.

When it is making the cricket noise, if I barely grab the big square rubber boot that connects to the tranny, the noise stops. Looks like my Slave cyl is just old & worn. :|

O well, 100x easier than taking the tranny apart :thumb:
By york62
#14641 defentaly... i just got done tearing a y7 tranny and replacing the clutch for a friend of mine. shitty job.
By VegasCivic
#55433 I got this evil sound today as well. But all of a sudden it stopped and the free play that was in the cluth pedal went away and their was resistance at the top of the pedal. The engagment point of the cluth didnt change. What was even wierder is when i left my house 30 mins later i had the problem again. It fixed itself then came back... If it was the cylinder wouldnt it be constant? :?
By teal_dx
#55476 btw, the cause of the original problem was where the thing that sticks out of the slave cyl meets the arm that holds the release bearing. they were vibrating on each other and making a squealing noise. It went away as soon as I pressed lightly on the clutch. I forgot to put some white lithium grease on the end of the ball thingy on the slave cyl and where it seats on the arm.
By VegasCivic
#55984 so add lube to where the slave piston meets that arm? Or further inside the tranny?

I tried adding today, i need more than two hands or i need to take it off >_<