N/A build discussion
By ChicagoMike
#34625 Either one will work fine, but if you didnt want to hack up your stock one, you definately cant go wrong with AEM. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#34661 I read about the B&M ones not being as accurate as the AEM when I was lookng for which one to buy. I found someone selling an AEM for $100 NIB after looking for a while.
By split sec eg
#34744 hmmm my mistake for going cheap.... i bought a b&m one for 50 bucks i should of spend a lil money to get better one ... :thumbdown:
By teal_dx
#34757 going cheap in an intake is one thing.... but fuel pressure is important. Try it out, if you have a separate fuel gauge pressure on the rail, then keep an eye on it from time to time. If it is consistant, then keep the B&M :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#34774 Im going to be getting one of these soon for my motor. Ive heard the the B&M ones werent all that great too. Are they any others besides the AEM one?
By suspendedHatch
#34783 I can't see any good reason for getting one. It's not useful for tuning as it is a blanket increase in fuel across the board. If your injectors are reaching their limit duty cycle at high RPM's, you need bigger injectors. That way you can increase fuel at high RPM only w/out killing your idle and cruise air / fuel ratios.

Don't make the mistake of thinking "I have an intake, exhaust, header, and a cam, so I need more fuel". The end result of blindly increasing the fuel pressure is that you will lose power, increase your exhaust temperature, destroy your cat, fail emissions, kill your gas mileage, make your car smell like ass *cough gas, and have popping sounds from unburned fuel igniting in your exhaust pipe. Did I mention LOSE power?

The truth is that running a little bit leaner (under heavy load and high engine speed) than the factory calibration will give you more power. But you better make sure you know what you're doing or you'll destroy the motor. Honda, just like everyone else, runs safely rich at the expense of power.

In short, I have seen many Hondas make tons of power w/out adjusting the fuel pressure. When you start getting serious about modifying your motor, there is only one thing you can do. Get your car on a dyno and tune it properly. Whether that is a standalone, re-flashing the stock ECU, or a host of band-aid, external controllers. You need a wideband, you need to be able to measure power, and you need an accurate representation of what your sensors are reading.
By stefan
#38710 I totally AGREE with 'suspendedHatch'.
And I'd like to add; you will KILL your engine with to much fuel!
The fuel that doesn't get burned simply washes away the slim oilfilm on your cylinderwall causing it to get smooth.
This causes oilconsumption, and increased wear of pistons and rings because they are not lubricated anymore (not enough).
Wich eventually causes engine faillure.

Been there, done that.
By suspendedHatch
#39341 Just tuned my engine with an AEM EMS. SOHC VTEC with just I/H/E. But the interesting part was that even at peak torque (99 ft/lbs at the wheels), the injectors are only at 40% duty cycle! That means they're barely even doing anything. Most injectors are good up to 80% and Honda injectors will go even higher. So basically I can add a LOT more air before I ever run out of fuel.
By jdmpassword562
#65670 how do u install the B&M fuel regulator onto the old one?????
By sdots
#66181 Don't buy one until your air/fuel ratio demands an uprated regulator.

Like suspended hatch said, you really need to get readings from your sensors to really know if you need a regulator or not. If you buy one and just add it without knowing what your fuel/air ratio is, you'll have worse mileage, shorten the life of the engine and it's internals and fail emissions dreadfully. Its a waste of money without knowing if you require it or not, in most cases you'll be wasting more money on fuel and be slower than you were before.

best regards
By bietelboer
#75084 Listen to stefan/suspendedHatch/sdots...

Its a wast of money to get one, you dont need one on a simple "stock"" engine...if youre into serious N/A or turbo you can think about getting one...