N/A build discussion
By 93hatcheg
#219861 i want to know if its possible to not run a thermostat on my b18c1. i ask this because i see all the aftermarket t-stats have lower opening temps,

well if you didnt have one wouldnt that be the lowest temp of always open?

and plus when its open wouldnt that be the same as not havng one?

this is a high comp built gsr motor if that makes a difference. thanks :thumb:
By hatchie
#219862 no its an aluminum block you'll blow it
By Fada Blayne
#219914 What they both said. :thumb:
By Datsmart
#219916 Running without a thermostat will actually put more load on your engine than leaving it in.
When the water flow is restricted by the thermostat, the water pump is like a cavitating outboard motor. There is very little "Load" on the impeller. If there is no restriction, it has to push a larger amount of water. Bigger "Load".
Also, as has been already mentioned, your engine would almost always run below ideal operating temp, thus very poor millage.
By suspendedHatch
#219945 Lower temp thermostat does not increase power. You actually make the most power right around 210 F. When your engine is below operating temp, the fuel doesn't atomize. It stays a liquid and doesn't burn. The job of the thermostat is to get you up to operating temp ASAP.

People who use lower temp thermostats on Japanese vehicles are lazy or ignorant. If your coolant system is inadequate, you need to fix or maintain it. A lower temp thermostat will only add to your problems.
By ZactheRipper
#219953 i had a dodgy thermostat for a while, opened at way too low temp.

It killed my fuel economy completely, which is pretty much the best thing about owning one of these cars :lol:
By 93hatcheg
#219976 damn :shock: im very glad i asked :thumb: thanks for all the good advice and now knowing this awesome info i will just get a oem t-stat.

question 2 haha why would you put a lower temp t-stat in your motor then?? like a mishimoto t-stat is like $50!!! a stock one is $5

thanks again guys i appreciate it
By Eg6H2D
suspendedHatch wrote:Lower temp thermostat does not increase power. You actually make the most power right around 210 F. When your engine is below operating temp, the fuel doesn't atomize. It stays a liquid and doesn't burn. The job of the thermostat is to get you up to operating temp ASAP.

People who use lower temp thermostats on Japanese vehicles are lazy or ignorant. If your coolant system is inadequate, you need to fix or maintain it. A lower temp thermostat will only add to your problems.

So you run your motor at 210F suspended?. it's funny cuz 10F more and your in overheating mode...
By Eg6H2D
suspendedHatch wrote:Lower temp thermostat does not increase power. You actually make the most power right around 210 F. When your engine is below operating temp, the fuel doesn't atomize. It stays a liquid and doesn't burn. The job of the thermostat is to get you up to operating temp ASAP.

So isnt that the purpose of fine tuning the engine?. If it runs colder yea it runs harder and i believe a harder running engine makes more power.. a hotter engine, well too hot gets fatigue in a way wouldnt you think., more load. but on built motors you want to keep things cooler generally.

these stats were mad for a reason in mind.. for a purpose to cool things down..
By Eg6H2D
93hatcheg wrote:damn :shock: im very glad i asked :thumb: thanks for all the good advice and now knowing this awesome info i will just get a oem t-stat.

question 2 haha why would you put a lower temp t-stat in your motor then?? like a mishimoto t-stat is like $50!!! a stock one is $5

thanks again guys i appreciate it

you want a lower temp stat.. and you dont feel comfy with the mishimoto one. opening at 140F, get a gates racing stat. it's 170f where that one opens..
By teal_dx
EG6b20R wrote:

So isnt that the purpose of fine tuning the engine?. If it runs colder yea it runs harder and i believe a harder running engine makes more power.. a hotter engine, well too hot gets fatigue in a way wouldnt you think., more load. but on built motors you want to keep things cooler generally.

these stats were mad for a reason in mind.. for a purpose to cool things down..

Lower air intake temps can increase power. lowering the coolant temperature too low is not going to do the engine any good in terms of power.
If your engine is heavily modified or boosted, running a cooler thermostat can help reduce pre-detonation, which can help prevent some major wear & damage to your engine. On a stock or mostly stock motor.... don't bother using a cooler thermostat, especially if your engine is running hot. That would be a bandaid instead of finding the real problem of why your engine temps are hot and fixing the real problem.

Honda designed their motors to be the most efficient at operating temps, so unless it's a heavily modified engine, let your motor do it's job as engineered :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#220060 what ive learned about lowering the coolent temp, you can sludge the oil
By 93hatcheg
#220133 dang yea i just bought a oem stat because everything you guys are saying saounds dead on. and yea my gsr is pretty built but not enough that im worried about over heating,

+ i have a full length mishimoto radiator that was like $500 or somethin so that should keep it plenty cool. the motor has 11.6:1 CR and skunk 2 stage 2 cams will all the goodies that go along with with in reguards to timing, ignition, intake, ha everything. it should be a pretty sick build.