#87521 clean title
car fax always
close to stock as possible, owned by adult is a plus
straight body panels & shock towers

ps. please read this: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=5839
and try to post things in the right sections :thumb:

Also nobody likes to read caps lock :wink:
By suspendedHatch
#87728 Make sure that it's owned by someone that has no idea what "modification" even is. If it's a young guy 15-25 just walk away.

Look up under the driver's side dash with a flashlight. If there's loose aftermarket wiring, or an all out spaghetti dinner going on under there, walk away. Also check the ECU and under the hood.

If it's been "wire tucked", run away!

Also check for the OEM labels on the inside of the fenders and hood, the emissions label on the hood, the OEM mark on the windshield, and any other indications that it's been wrecked and repaired. This doesn't automatically exclude the car. It depends on the extent of the original damage, the quality of the repair, and the way it's reflected in the selling price.

Run away from bondo!

Look in the door jambs and in the trunk to see if it's been painted.

If I care about the engine then I'll actually have it smog tested and I'll compression test it there on the spot. Smog test tells you more about the condition of the engine etc than any other test.

Check for grinding or slipping in the trans. Check the fluid and make sure it's not gear oil (really clear and watery). Slide your bare fingers on the oil dipstick and make sure it's not glittery.
By Vincentex3
#87744 Whats Bondo and can a realy kind person chart this out and email it to me i will apreciate it i need someone with exp. and thx for the info buddy
By DarkNovvah
#87745 and no rust ask teal about that :hehe:
By jstarone
#106786 I know im reviving a really old post, but this struck my attention.

"Check for grinding or slipping in the trans. Check the fluid and make sure it's not gear oil (really clear and watery). "

Does he mean make sure there isn't gear oil in the transmission and thats its actually proper honda MTF?

Also what does it mean if the dipstick is glittery after you wipe the oil off? Coolant in the oil or something?
By Sentry
jstarone wrote:Also what does it mean if the dipstick is glittery after you wipe the oil off? Coolant in the oil or something?

Metal fragments in the oil.
By Punksz6
#108490 Check the history of the car!!!!!! When I got mine I knew it had a Salvaged title but I should have checked the whole car and checked out its history cause now I have Bondo cracking all in the passenger side quaters and guess what it sucks...Working on it now...

So just go around the car checking for signs of rust bondo or even just ask up front and see if its been in any accidents. Check and see if the body straight.... If it has a motor check the motor its self for signs of damage.....

It pretty much depends on who u are buying it from some people are cool and some people will scam u.....
By jstarone
Sentry wrote:
jstarone wrote:Also what does it mean if the dipstick is glittery after you wipe the oil off? Coolant in the oil or something?

Metal fragments in the oil.

AH! Ok I understand what they ment by metal fragments now haha DUH :lol:
By courtottman
#114603 bump
keep this topic alive, i am currently searching for an eg hatch also, all help will be greatly appreciated.
By VegasCivic
#114604 I always test drive them when they are at operating temp. Some people jump in cold, take it around, like it. Then later on they notice stuff.
By Sentry
VegasCivic wrote:I always test drive them when they are at operating temp. Some people jump in cold, take it around, like it. Then later on they notice stuff.

Corollary to this, if it's running or warm when you get there, turn it off and talk with the guy a while. Then start it and see how it runs. It may have trouble starting cold.
By ballistic
#117811 Yes, When I bought my ej1 I asked if I can come see it cold start, since this IS wisconsin, and it will be driven during winter, and i happen to be buying it during February, He let me start it after about 2 days of sitting out in the cold, and it cranked once and started right up. 8)
By stupidhurts
#120233 I check the fender wells really good and bring a magnet with me to check for body filler.