Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By 0216
#332463 I know it sounds dumb or pointless but let me explain...
I was pulled over for speeding, in my 94 civic cx (hb) with b16a, and the cop decided to check my motor, well he red flagged it (I live in southern cali by the way)...so now I have to get it smogged by A smog state ref. I've had some ideas and suggestion thrown at me, and decided to go with swapping my motors out, I have a 4 door civic lx as well with b15b v-Tec, I decided to take the D out and swapping it for the B putting as much as I can on it from the 4 door to make it look as stock as possible (ac, ps, cc, ect, not hooked up just bolted on)...the D has a couple mods so I will be buying a couple things,(headers,intake,Cconverter,ect...)((stock of course...))
after that take it to the ref. hopefully passes raises the flag and return the B back in the hatchy... the D back in the 4dr and while I'm at it cleaning the engine bay..so that's my plan...I have already started this project so and got as far as taking the Dseries out(first time by the way) so far so good,

has any one done anything similar to this that can give me some tips,suggestions,warnings, on this project, knowing that its my first time doing a swap, also I want to any information will be greatly appreciated...
ps. sry if I missed any info.
By HeikDiesel
#332464 You really want to do 4 motor swaps just to pass REF? :?

Why not just put the emissions stuff on the b16 and make it pass.
By teal_dx
HeikDiesel wrote:You really want to do 4 motor swaps just to pass REF? :?

Why not just put the emissions stuff on the b16 and make it pass.

Because Cali... they're smog nazis. Even though a B16 puts out little emissions compared to many other cars on the road, it's still a swap and CA hates swaps. :thumbdown:
By 0216
#332484 exactly...besides its only my second Honda, I drove the car 12 days before I got pulled over, got a ticket, and to top it off got it impounded...the car has a nice setup worth the work in my opinion...

I did some research,and found out if a car has a swap the motor has to be the same year as the car or newer,and if it was jdm it had to have USDM smog parts.my first thought was to buy all USDM smog parts, ecu,ect. take it to get smogged and replace parts with jdm parts. unfortunetly I also read that if a motor is jdm it won't pass no matter what...but if its in the same series it would or at least ill have a better chance...[/quote]
By FG2_Andrew
#332500 If I lived in Cali I would never touch my motor/exhaust, ever.

I'd call your local smog office and just explain your situation, express that it's a daily driver and that you just want to pass. They will tell you exactly what you need to do. Don't tell them you're able to take a running motor out of another car though, tell them the car was totaled and you kept the running parts..
By 0216
#332503 I have a smog guy who does my work... california just started this new program called STAR...certain cars from 96 and down(guess not really sure)have to be smogged by a star qualafied mechanic and not all are qualafied most of em won't take your money.
I think that law is attacking Honda's mostly.
I believe if you have o take it to a state ref. it doesn't just have to pass emission but visual too...and I'm pretty sure a CHP state ref. will know what he's looking at
I had just got my car smogged right before they started the STAR program.
By suspendedHatch
#332554 Makes no sense to swap the motor unless the B16A is OBD0. The process will be the same for the D. Waste of time to swap it since it wont make it any easier on you. They are going to scrutinize the D just as much as the B.

Get 50 state legal parts for your B. Make sure the purge solenoid is hooked up since JDM manifolds don't have a vacuum port and tapped mount for it. Just T it in to the fpr hose. Have a cat converter on there and get a USDM ECU.

Talk to the ref ahead of time. Some of them are very particular and others are very reasonable. You don't want to waste money on stuff (like a USDM ECU) if they don't particularly care about it.
By 0216
#332577 so let's say I get all USDM parts, including intake manifold, ECU, Caty converter,dizzy,fuel reg. ect ect. on both engines in will be a waiste of time and money..? what about all the Honda's that come with stock jdm engines?
how do u deal with those...?
so then what would be my best option...
man its worse than I thought, I was about to pull the B out right now..

I'm giving the fer. a call...
By 0216
#332579 I just called the ref. some lady answered she asked what they gave me a ticket for I told her...out of the six charges the coo gave ne she said I'm only going for one modified exhaust...
I know the officer will be checking for other things so I'm going to change the whole exhaust add catty and slap an USDM ecu on it see what he says...unless I find another option..
BTW what would be the best ecu to buy for this case..?
By suspendedHatch
familyEGuy23 wrote:All JDM motors are illegal even d15b trust me I know.

Wrong. California law says that the JDM equivalent of your motor is a legal replacement as long as you keep your USDM emissions equipment. For us that mainly pertains to hooking up the purge control solenoid, and using a USDM ECU and O2 sensor.

Read for yourself directly from the CA government website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
By Ajax1989
#332599 listen to everything suspendedhatch has to say..

trust me, getting refed is a pita
By Apexracing
suspendedHatch wrote:
familyEGuy23 wrote:All JDM motors are illegal even d15b trust me I know.

Wrong. California law says that the JDM equivalent of your motor is a legal replacement as long as you keep your USDM emissions equipment. For us that mainly pertains to hooking up the purge control solenoid, and using a USDM ECU and O2 sensor.

Read for yourself directly from the CA government website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By 0216
#332655 tha was very useful information thanx peeps.
so change of plans I'm going to buy all USDM emission parts for the B16 and c if I have any luck with that.
just one thing, what car should I use to ask for the parts when I hit the shop...?
I have a charcoal canister for an A3 That's pretty much all I have that's usdm. if I'm not mistaken
I have an integra XSI jdm b16a with a 98 head...if that helps, meanwhile ill be hooking the D back to the 4dr.