Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By nd1983
#313652 so the steal AC coolant lines running infront of my rad have rusted at the mounting bracket, and i'm slowly loosing refrigerant. D15B7

so here's the question.
Remove everything or replace the lines and recharge the system?

since nov 2011, when i got the car, i think i have maybe used it twice or 3 times.
By teal_dx
#313654 After never having AC and then having a car w/ AC, it would be hard to go back to not having it. But you're further north than I am, so it's cooler up there. This has been the hottest summer here - I'd get it fixed for sure just for resale value if nothing else.
By elrompetoto
#313660 iv made almost 1000 bucks last month fixing ac system 4 hondas if u do take the ac out make sure u put it all away. if u ever want 2 put it back in, the lines r about 25 bucks each used.
By d-mon
teal_dx wrote: I'd get it fixed for sure just for resale value if nothing else.

yes, or if you get hit, the insurance company will consider you civic less of a beater if you have all the parts in place.
the ac on these cars is not that great, i very rarely use mine, especially after i blew a head gasket going 60 on the freeway on an 80* day.
in a bone stock ls.
By Apexracing
#313687 I've been considering pulling mine on my si as well, it needs a line replaced because it broke when i removed the subframe last year. I've heard that when the system is broken the dryer goes bad due to moisture. There for the dryer must be replaced, and mine is in the heater core box and i'd have to pull the dash to replace it. So i'm not sure which i rather do, fix the line and have it filled and hope the dryer is still functional. or rip it all out and call it a day.
By nd1983
teal_dx wrote:After never having AC and then having a car w/ AC, it would be hard to go back to not having it. But you're further north than I am, so it's cooler up there. This has been the hottest summer here - I'd get it fixed for sure just for resale value if nothing else.

its been well over 100F with the humidity atleast once a week.

and i'm only across the lake from you so not too far north.
but i think i'll look into repairing the part
By bigJOE671
nd1983 wrote:so the steal AC coolant lines running infront of my rad have rusted at the mounting bracket, and i'm slowly loosing refrigerant. D15B7

so here's the question.
Remove everything or replace the lines and recharge the system?

since nov 2011, when i got the car, i think i have maybe used it twice or 3 times.

If you barely use the system I would just leave it in unless your planning on shaving your bay or going for less weight. Less work to deal with than taking the whole AC out.

If you plan on recharging your system you got to remember to replace your drier then pull a deep vacuum before recharging.

I would just fix it and recharge the system...just to know that I have AC and use it whenever I need it and for greater resale value :thumb:
By nd1983
#313702 this is where its leaking (the wet spot.)

Image Image
By bigJOE671
nd1983 wrote:this is where its leaking (the wet spot.)

Image Image

That looks like the power steering line to me not the AC line. The line would be skinny since its the high pressure line and not fat like you posted in the picture.

This is the whole AC system

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
By nd1983
#313707 So yea they are PS lines. Can I bypass them or they needed?
By bigJOE671
nd1983 wrote:So yea they are PS lines. Can I bypass them or they needed?

I would just replace that rusted line, clamp, and just add fluid IMO...less work. But that's up to you.

Well you got a couple options...you can take out those lines, the resevoir, and loop the power steering rack or you can take out the whole power steering rack and put in a manual one.

Power steering to manual: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=7198

How to install a manual rack: http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=21023
By nd1983
#313713 I really don't wanna take off the bumper that's why I asked if I could just bypass the line. Aswell I'm hoping to do a swap in the future and don't wanna remove the PS if I put in a heavier motor.

edit. i got to see those links. i was on my phone before

bigJOE671 wrote:Power steering to manual: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=7198

i think i'm gonna try this but leave my res in instead of a breather.