Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By MookyStick
#312899 Hey guys, so I have a 92 sedan and I knew the original owner hit something with the car but evidently it was quite a bit harder than I thought. I saw the blemish on the bumper and how the drivers side drooped a little but I thought it was mostly cosmetic. Well the other day I was underneath installing a new A/C compressor(had the under panel off)and noticed that the drivers side lower engine mount is being pulled away from the engine by the frame(the inside rubber is pulled out about an inch or so). You can see where the lower frame that the mount bolts to is bent outwards. The engine has a little bit of 'rock' to it during take off but its not very bad and I don't notice it all the time.

Does anybody have any suggestions for an easy/cheap way to get this fixed? This is just my beater car so I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but I would like things to be functioning correctly. I've heard of some very 'redneck' ways of frame straightening but I'm not sure any of them would work in my case. I also thought of making a bracket to relocate the engine mount slightly in order for it to line up and then of course I would buy a new mount.

Also, both my axles are bad(split boots)and the passengers side it much worse than the drivers(severe clicking even while accelerating in a straight line). I've always heard its pointless to replace axles on a front wheel drive car if you're having motor mount issues because it accelerates wear on the axles. Does anyone think this will apply in my case or should I just go ahead and swap out the axles?

Sorry, that was kinda long lol I really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks
-Rob
By teal_dx
#312916 Any chance you can post some pics of the frame/mount so we can get a visual of how bad it might be?

It sounds like it's worse than just stitching it back together with a mig. It sounds like a major safety issue.

Having the engine a a bad angle is harder on the axles, but if you have a clicking axle, I'd replace that asap. It's ugly when a CV joint explodes :thumbdown:

Before you do any more to the car, I'd ask yourself if it's really worth it with the frame damage or if it's time to pick up another civic and part this one out.
By MookyStick
teal_dx wrote:Any chance you can post some pics of the frame/mount so we can get a visual of how bad it might be?

It sounds like it's worse than just stitching it back together with a mig. It sounds like a major safety issue.

Having the engine a a bad angle is harder on the axles, but if you have a clicking axle, I'd replace that asap. It's ugly when a CV joint explodes :thumbdown:

Before you do any more to the car, I'd ask yourself if it's really worth it with the frame damage or if it's time to pick up another civic and part this one out.

Yeah, I'll try and get some pics up today. I don't think its quite as bad as I've made it sound lol. The fenders and everything still line up fine and the other 3 engine mounts are in perfect condition and look just as they should. I've also heard that the lower driver mount is a pretty insignificant mount when compared to the rest, any truth behind this? Obviously you wouldn't want it missing completely but it would make me feel a little better if it were true lol
By MookyStick
#312928 Here's some pics. You can tell there is a little 'droop' to the drivers side. I've circled the area where you can tell the lower support has been bent some and obviously that's what is pulling the mount out. I don't think its the end of this car, it still drives fine and steers straight. I just wish there was a way I could get the mount to line up correctly. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

By teal_dx
#312932 Oh that's not nearly as bad as I pictured it :)

First, take care of the axles. I doubt that is enough to cause them to wear prematurely. The mount in question is a torque mount, mainly there to keep the engine from rocking.

This might be harsh for a daily driver, but if it's just a beater....
Fill your 3 main motor mounts with polyurethane to make them solid. Then you can remove that lower mount and not even have to worry about it.
I did this on my car 10 years ago and it's still the same, engine doesn't rock any more than normal.
The downside is that you will feel the engine vibrations much more, dash may vibrate a little. Not ideal for a comfortable daily driver but if it's just a beater then why not try a simple fix?

http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=30
By MookyStick
#312939 Haha torque mount? What is this "torque" you speak of?? lol :P

I appreciate the help. I'll get on those axles ASAP.

Not too sure about the solid mounts though...it is definitely a beater but its also my daily car. Since that lower mount is mostly just meant to stop the engine from rocking, maybe I'll just look a bit more into making a bracket to relocate it a bit and then obviously get a new mount.

Thanks again bud.
By MookyStick
HungRealLow21 wrote:
MookyStick wrote:Haha torque mount? What is this "torque" you speak of?? lol

the one the engine makes lol nd ive never ever had one haha

Haha. I love the little D15 for a daily car but I think my blender has more torque than that thing lol :P