Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By blk92hb
#312759 ok so after poking around on facebook i seen a post about rusty nut and bolts, so i checked it out and it sounds like it would work

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/Hot-Rods-Rat-Rods/blog/template_permalink.asp?id=124

Since its invention in 1953, WD-40 has been the go-to solution for many household and garage problems. Over the years, other companies have come up with their answer to WD-40's penetrating properties such as Liquid Wrench and Kano Kroil. Others have tried their own home-brewed concoctions in the never-ending battle against rusted nuts and bolts. Our favorite is a 50/50 mix of acetone and Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Simply mix one part acetone and one part ATF in a re-fillable spray bottle and go to town. The idea is to thin the ATF with the acetone so it will penetrate and seep into and between surfaces. The acetone will evaporate, leaving the oil to do its job. Because the acetone evaporates so quickly, it's a good idea to mix this in small batches.

Skeptical? We were too. Then we did some poking around on Google and found that in the April 2007 issue of Machinist Workshop Magazine, they performed subjective independent testing of penetrating oils using a single steel bar with 1/2" x 20 nuts torqued to 50 ft/lbs and treated with a 10% salt water solution that was allowed to rust.

Listed are the chemicals tested and the respective required removal torque:

None
516 pounds

WD-40
238 pounds

PB Blaster
214 pounds

Liquid Wrench
127 pounds

Kano Kroil
106 pounds

50/50 Acetone / ATF
53 pounds

http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_new/news_letters/assets/wham_2011_07.pdf

i also did some looking on google and it looks like everyone else is talking about this method as well.[/quote]
By SL93ex
#312777 I've used acetone/atf and it works as good as anything else, although I can't attest to it being better.

I'm skeptical about the plastic spray bottle however.. it routinely melts the plastic nozzle on the oil can I use to dispense it.
There are plastics it won't melt but I haven't bothered to do the research.
By blk92hb
teal_dx wrote:And all these years I thought PB blaster was the best thing on earth. :roll:

Let us know how the Acetone / ATF goes :thumb:

will do. :thumb: i got all of the stuff just havent had the time to do anything
By blk92hb
#313292 ok so i tryed it, and i dont think its the best thing. it will weaken the plastic bottle, and it dont really penetrat. the bolts i did try i let soak for about 5-10 mins another set for about 20min.

the ones i let soak for 20min seems to have been more covered, as in penetrated. i do have one more to go and its still soaking.

so for now its not the best but i still have one more bolt to try and if it comes off then we will know if it works for sure.
By blk92hb
#313305 Ok so I used this on my rear lca-trailing arm bolt. The factory specs for the bolt is 40ftlb of torque. So I used a torque stick and started from 40ftlbs and went up in 5ftlbs increments all the way up to 80ftlbs, and that was letting it soak for an hr plus. Imo its not worth it. $4-$5 dollars for the transmission fluid, $1 for the spray bottle, and $2 for the asetone. Now if it did work it would be well worth it because it would cost around $8 for two quarts of fluid.